Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #121 
Neelie

wow!!! i love them! fantastic success!!! please keep us updated!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #122 
1fish2fish

Week 6

No pictures today because I have a huge test to study for. I took pictures of each fry individually on Sunday night that I'll try to upload and post soon.

All the babies are doing well. I'm starting to get an idea of who I think is male and who is female but I'm not certain yet. It will probably be at least another two weeks before I can really tell. I have a decent idea of who I want to keep so far but that will probably change in the coming weeks. They have another 4-6 weeks to grow before I even consider picking ones to keep and sell.

Right now they are still in the 5 gallon spawn tank. I'm still waiting on the heater and sponge filter to come in so I can set up a larger tank. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I can hurry up and get it cycled and ready.

The fry are all pretty much the same size. I have two really big ones and one that is really small, over half the size of the biggest ones. Once I get the grow out set up I think I might take the little one and put "her" in her own 1-2 gallon tank so she can have plenty of room to grow and eat.

Right now I'm feeding a mixture of frozen daphnia, frozen BBS, and NLS grow. I'm slowly phasing out the BBS for the larger and more protien filled daphnia but with that little fry hanging around I want to make sure there is still food small enough for her to eat. Some of the fry will take the NLS grow but most ignore it. I'm not going to worry about switching them over to dry foods completely until they're closer to sale size.

Everyone is starting to get color now. I still have some light bodied fry that I think will turn out to be pastel but I also have butterflies, multicolors, MG, and even a few marbles I think. One fry seems to have an orange marble color to its fins. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #123 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh my gosh, they sound beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #124 
jmtriro01

i also have two week old frys! so it means they will be this size when they are at 5 week old. hope you get nice bettas from your spawn!
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #125 
1fish2fish

They may or may not be that size when they reach 5 weeks. Growth depends on how clean you keep the water, what temperature the water is, and how much you feed.

I keep my tank at about 84*F, do daily water changes of 50-75% (sometimes even 100%), and feed enough food that my fry always have big round tummies.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #126 
MrVampire181

The warmer you keep them, the cleaner you keep them, and the more you feed them will make them grow much faster.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #127 
leeb62

So can any1 tell me what type of heater you guys are using for your betta spawn tank and where you got your heater from? I'm using a wal-mart heater

It only heats the water up to 78 degree and it stays at that temperature constantly. I was wondering if this was the reason all my fries died out? I been feeding them baby brine shrimp, but it seems like they couldn't swim straight like all the baby fries i see on the youtube video. They were probably all deformed baby?
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #128 
dramaqueen
Banned

What size is your tank?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #129 
MrVampire181

I use that heater in spawn tanks. I like it because it dosen't need adjusting and fluctuates a little (which kills off weaker fry but keeps the strong ones healthy and gets them used to changing conditions they may experience later on). My guess is that you overdid your BBS and gave them swim bladder disorder.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #130 
jmtriro01

my water is relatively warm the whole day since i live in the tropics. and i never see the frys with small tummies, so i guess they are always full.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote