Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #131 
1fish2fish

I prefer adjustable heaters. The one I'm using currently is a 50w topfin heater and in my growout tank will be a hydor theo (also 50w). As I've said before I like warmer temperatures for spawning and raising fry so I need a heater that has enough power to keep my tanks warm. Keeping the plastic lid on the tub also helps keep the humidity in.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #132 
MrVampire181

I'm retiring most of my presets to my pet bettas/spawning pair tanks and using my adjustables since it's getting quite cold here (just had our first snow storm).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #133 
metalbetta

Yuck... If it's snowing in CO it's only a matter of time before it hits us in Nebraska.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #134 
leeb62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I prefer adjustable heaters. The one I'm using currently is a 50w topfin heater and in my growout tank will be a hydor theo (also 50w). As I've said before I like warmer temperatures for spawning and raising fry so I need a heater that has enough power to keep my tanks warm. Keeping the plastic lid on the tub also helps keep the humidity in.

I have a adjustable one, but it just keeps heating the tank because it doesn't auto shut at the right temperature for tropical fish. That one will fry my fish so i'm just using the one from wal-mart atm. Does the one you have shut off at the temperature you set it at?
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #135 
leeb62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
What size is your tank?

Its a little bigger than a 10 gallon fish tank and i had the plastic tub filled up to 5 inches of water.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #136 
leeb62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I use that heater in spawn tanks. I like it because it dosen't need adjusting and fluctuates a little (which kills off weaker fry but keeps the strong ones healthy and gets them used to changing conditions they may experience later on). My guess is that you overdid your BBS and gave them swim bladder disorder.
I might have overdid my bbs, but I have no clue if they even ate the bbs because they all just sat at the bottom of the tank and some of them would swim around in a circle only its like they can't swim straight so they might be deform. I only saw like 15 frys when they all hatch.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #137 
1fish2fish

Adjustable heaters are supposed to keep the tank at a constant temperature by turning on and off. If yours doesn't turn off it must be defective.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #138 
MrVampire181

Yup it's defective. I threw my defective into a 2 gallon with a few inches of water and used some McCafe cups as BBS hatcheries and get hatching must faster (it keeps the tank like 93*).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #139 
dramaqueen
Banned

We have had breeders here who have lost spawns due to faulty heaters so my advice would be to get a good quality heater for spawning.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #140 
PeggyJ

My breeding tank is inside, and I have a large (55 gal) outside as well as a small 1.5 gal..... since I am in Florida, I dont have alot of months to worry about the cold, but I too have had one of those faulty heaters. They are a pain. I also cover my outside tanks with old sheets or towels at night just to keep the heat in. We sometimes get down in the 30's at night. In the summer though, I have the opposite problem.
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote