Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #1 
BettyBetta

New Betta Females Fighting, Is this normal?

I just got two betta females and they are rubbing tales, and nipping at each other. Is this normal? I thought females could live together? Or is this part of them getting use to each other?
BettyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #2 
metalbetta

Females absolutely MUST be in groups of 4 or more if they are going to live together. They develop a pecking order, and if there are just 2, one will likely bully the other to death. The more females you have, the more the aggression is spread out. I'd highly recommend separating them until you can get the right amount of girls and a good sized tank (10 gallons at least).
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Separate those two ASAP. With just two females, one will kill the other or they were both end up killing each other. Females can be just as aggressive as males.

They CAN live together....in a well planted 10+ gallon tank with a minimum of five females. Its called a sorority...and sometimes even in the proper conditions things don't work out.
So you'll need to find a new home for one of your girls, or head out and get another tank.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #4 
metalbetta

^^+1...

5 is a much better number. But yes, definitely separate them ASAP!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
CodeRed

Agreed to the above. I don't think there's anything else I can add...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with all of the above, also.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

If you want to house females together get a heated, filtered, densly planted 10 gallon tank. Put 4-6 females in the tank and moniter closely, they will fight for the first few weeks.

But keep them seperate, I've had some pretty nasty females rip each other and males to shreds.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #8 
BettyBetta

Thank you!

Wow, call me a novice betta caregiver...or any fish for that matter. They don't tell you these things at the pet store!!

I seperated them...I will likely just get a different tank for the other. They did well togtether for the past couple days, but the fighting started up this evening again. Should I be concerened with their missing scales?

Betty
BettyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #9 
CDederick

I'd use Bettafix to help with any missing scales or ripped fins. It really seems to help mine heal up fast if there's ever any problem.
CDederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #10 
DragonFish

Don't use Bettafix, or any of those 'fix's....they don't do much for that kind of stuff, and they're damaging to the Labyrinth organ that bettas use to breath.
To help promote healing and offset infection, use Aquarium Salt. Use teaspoon per gallon and make sure its fully dissolved. Also, keep the water in both their tanks at a nice steady 79-80 to help promote healing, and perhaps toss in an extra water change....how big are their tanks?

Yup, the thing with females is that they can be fine for months and months even...and then suddenly you wake up with dead fish. Thats why even the proper number of females can be risky. Bettas were bred and raised to fight, both male and female.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote