Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #1 
karlhague

Red cherry shrimp Advice

Hi there.

One of my Red Cherry shrimps has Clearly got some things, i can only describe as Green Dots, clearly showing inside of it,

Could these be eggs?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

I think they would be. I've only had experience with ghost shrimp and they're eggs were green as well.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #3 
fishman12

I have no idea. Sorry
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #4 
Adastra

Yep, they're eggs. In my experience RCS breed about as easily as guppies. :) Enjoy your shrimplets when they come.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Yep, they're eggs. In my experience RCS breed about as easily as guppies. :) Enjoy your shrimplets when they come.

So they should deffinatley hatch?

Is their anything i can do to protect them from Solar? I dont want my babies getting eaten LOL

These have been in my tank less than 24 hours and 3 of the bright red ones have theses eggs....

I think i have two that were really really pale, But they soon turned almost 100% see through is this normal?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #6 
Adastra

On a lighter background they tend to be lighter colored, if you have black gravel and plants, they should color up more readily, especially once they've adjusted. As far as protecting your babies.. they are very vulnerable.. about all you can do is add a wad of plant matter for them to hide in. Java moss, guppy grass, and hornwort are very well suited to this. You want a very dense plant, though. They are little troopers but they get eaten by everything. When I was cleaning out my canister filter the other day, I saw dozens of them living merrily in my filter media.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #7 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
When I was cleaning out my canister filter the other day, I saw dozens of them living merrily in my filter media.
This made me giggle.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #8 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
This made me giggle.
Me too! I wish I could have that happen in my tank.

But alas, the dragon boy gobbled up his new shrimp friends last night O_o. He's clearly not friend material.

Good luck with your shrimplets! May they merrily flourish in your filter!
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #9 
JorgeBurrito

If she just developed the eggs it will take about a month before they hatch and are released from her. The biggest danger to the fry will be your betta and your filter. The best you can do to protect them from your betta is as Adastra suggested, a nice wad of java moss tied to a piece of driftwood on the bottom will work well. Even then your betta is going to definitely pig out on your shrimpies, this is not necessarily a bad thing though as I had a tank overrun by rcs due to their prolific breeding and no predator in the tank. To protect them from the filter you need to put a sponge or some filter material on the inlet of the filter. They are tiny and will get sucked up which you want to avoid. Good luck, one of the reason rcs are fun is they are a self sustaining population when in the right environment.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #10 
Ajones108

JorgeBurrito - From the way it sounds, they do quite well in a canister filter. Ha ha. If I wanted to keep cherry shrimps, I would just stick them in the filter. XD
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote