Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #1 
betta99

Question What color female should I get for breeding?

I've finally decided to breed my male betta - Carrot - with another female. I kind of don't want to because Carrot is so perfect, but hey, that means good genetics! I have everything set up, but I haven't chosen a female yet. I'm getting a store bought one, and I've had my eye on a small purple female at Petsmart. I'm still debating though. I want the same type of betta - delta - but I'm debating on the color. I want a non-dominant color. I want both parents' colors to show up, or for them to mix. Any ideas? This is only my second time breeding too, so are there any tips out there?
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

what color is carrot?

Also what tail type?

Purple is really pretty and if i knew what color carrot was i could estimate the color of fry! and you will probably get some really good looking fry with carrots color too!!

Last edited by bettalover2033; 09-17-2010 at 05:52 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 
Adastra

You should really do as much research as possible before you even consider breeding. It's a very expensive undertaking in terms of time, money, and space in your home. Part of this is not only researching techniques for spawning and raising fry successfully, but an understanding of how betta genetics work so that you actually get what you want from your pair.

I don't recommend using pet store fish because 1. You don't know their history--so the results are unpredictable, and the quality potentially poor 2. They've likely faced poor conditions at the pet store and the fish farm and may not be up to it health wise 3. Age. Most consider fish over a year old to be past their breeding prime. Many fish in the pet store are already adults because adults have more eye-catching fins--so if you've had your fish awhile, he may be too old for breeding 4. Whenever we go to the pet store we see tons of beautiful fish languishing on the shelves because no one wants them--since you use fish from the pet store, your fry will be no different, and since you don't have the front of a big retail store, you'll probably have a very hard time finding homes for them, and you definitely shouldn't expect to make money off them.

If you're still interested, you should do more research into genetics. Here are a couple of good starting points:
http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics.htm
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/home.imp
http://www.bettaterritory.nl/index.htm
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #4 
betta99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
what color is carrot?

Also what tail type?

Purple is really pretty and if i knew what color carrot was i could estimate the color of fry! and you will probably get some really good looking fry with carrots color too!!
Carrot is an light orange/peach delta tail. Thanks, I really hope that it works out.

As for Adastra, don't worry. I've done this successfully before and I already have a place for them to go. And the male isn't store bought, he's actually from the first fry that I raised, and only about 8 months so I think he's okay. But I guess I could get a female off of aquabid if I really needed to. Are you sure store bought bettas are so bad? She looked pretty young and was relatively new.

Last edited by betta99; 09-18-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #5 
Adastra

Good to hear you have some experience and are lucky enough to have plans already in place for your fry. I understand that not everyone shares my beliefs about pet store fish--but it just seems logical to me to pick a female from a breeder who can tell you what her parents and grandparents looked like and some of her siblings--this way you can really work toward a goal with breeding and culling would be greatly minimized. Plus, you know her age and that she was treated with great care by the breeder. It seems to me that getting a female to a breeder minimizes risk of losing the female and getting undesirable fry.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #6 
betta99

yeah, i can see what you mean. i think i'll get one off of aquabid. i havn't gotten any females from aquabid before, and some of them look beautiful
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Im sorry but i have to disagree (partially) I dont think store bought bettas are horrible to breed. Because i have two store bought bettas in the tan right now embracing.

Also i do agree because store bought bettas tend to have bad genetics and such.

If you go to my spawning log you will see that they are doing fine.

Even though store bought bettas can work it is better to buy from aquabid. but i didnt and they are okay.

Good info adastra!!!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

"It's important to say that pet shops bettas are not usually of poor quality-they make great pets, but they're not usually prime breeding specimens. People who just want a beautiful fish often do not care if its fins or colors do not conform to the standards by which bettas are judged, so a breeders culls, which are perfectly sound and healthy but simply lack the desired conformation are sold by retailers for much less money than is commanded by the top few specimens reserved as breeders."
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Here is why it is not a good idea to use pet shop stock plain and simple...

THEY ARE NOT CORRECT.

Do you think whoever breeds the fish that go to pet stores are going to send phenonminal fish? NO. They're going to hold those back and either breed them or sell them to the highest bidder.

Even on aquabid its hard to find fish that closely fit the standard but they are miles ahead of pet shop fish. The problem with these new breeders is they don't want to take the time to seriously research and plan the breeding.. they see others doing it and think they want to be "part of the crowd" so to speak. Then they breed bad fish, making more bad fish, accomplishing nothing.

If you truly care about the species and want to make the best fish possible than you will start with good fish, instead of trying to make a purebred out of a mutt (metaphorically speaking).

No one thinks pet store bettas are "bad" or ugly or wrong... they are just wrong to breed.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote