Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #1 
CodeRed

Kitty help ): Not pretty

Shaddow's not looking so fly... Just noticed it today, so I'm not sure if this is new or not, but I'm thinking so. It's a weekend, so we're on our own, so I'm looking for some help from you guys.

Take a look at my kitty....

Does anyone have ANY idea what this is?
We're totally at a loss, mainly because this hasn't ever happened before ): I just registered to a cat site, but I have to post so many times in the user-intro before I can ask for help.... stupid rule, imo, but whatever.

If you know what it is, what's causing it and how can I help stop the symptoms?
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #2 
metalbetta

I'm not sure what that is... is he drooling a bunch? My boyfriend's parents have a cat that was doing that last summer. We think it was an oral infection... He wasn't eating well and throwing up food that hadn't been digested yet. Full kibbles... He lost a bunch of weight. Got him some antibiotics and after about a month he was much better. He's a fatcat now. and now that worries me! lol...

What's it's behavior like?
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 
Alex09

Call a vet? Unlike fish, vets DO treat cats. Take advantage of it...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #4 
CodeRed

Yes, yes, I'm aware of vets, thank you. However, as it is a weekend, we might not have access to one for a couple of days, at least not if we don't want to pay a fortune. And as my stepdad is unemployed atm, a fortune is just something we don't have.

MB: He hasn't been eating, and has been pretty lethargic. We thought at first his non-eating was just that he didn't like the food, but today we noticed the above. We're going to call the vet tomorrow to see if we can find a way to get in somehow, but I imagine a last minute call like this probably won't work out well.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #5 
metalbetta

I'm definitely no vet. But it sounds to me like he's got something wrong with his mouth. It probably hurts to eat... Try some wet food maybe until you can get him to a doctor. Definitely call the vet as soon as you get the chance.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #6 
CodeRed

I've been told to try some tuna-y foods, since cats don't eat what they can't smell. Poor boy is probably starving, after 3 days of not eating, so I'll try to scrounge some up. Thank you for the help, mb ^_^ So far everyone seems to be telling me to take him to a vet, however atm (tonight) it's just not possible, since it's closed. We WILL be trying to get him in tomorrow, though. I'll try to get a stool sample, too >.> But if he hasn't been eating, I'm not sure if we have any that's fresh enough...
Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #7 
metalbetta

They asked for a urine and stool sample from Tiger too. He was so nervous he peed on the table. lol. Best of luck, hope your cat recovers quickly!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #8 
BettaLover101

Im just guessing from slight experience here but it might be a kitty cold. My cat had a cold a few years ago and he had a runny nose and wouldn't eat. He just hid in his cat house and sneezed. If your cat is anything like that then maybe google cat colds and see if you can find some help. The thing is, we took our cat to the vets so I don't really know how they treated him. I wish you are your kitty the best of luck, hope this helped.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #9 
CodeRed

We're taking him in at 8 tomorrow, since it seems like he might have a respiratory infection. It's something that I've been told needs to be nipped in the bud asap, since cats breathe through their noses. He had all the preliminary signs of a RI, I just never noticed it ):
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #10 
BettaLover101

Thats too bad. I hope your kitty gets better soon. Just relax and keep an eye on your kitty, thats the most you can do for the time being.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote