Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #1 
Stormfin

What to keep with a Betta

I have an unused 2.5 gallon tank and am considering getting another Betta. The tank would be filtered and heated. Is there anything I could keep with a Betta in that size of tank?
Stormfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 AM   #2 
JB5

Put a couple ghost shrimp in. If he doesn't eat them then they would be ok as they have almost no bio load and they are pretty entertaining.
JB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #3 
Ajones108

If he doesn't eat them. :p In a 2.5 gallon tank it's recommended no tank mates as most of the time they end up eaten with no space to hide.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #4 
Posaune

Yeah, there's just not enough space to give the betta his hiding places, and the shrimp their hiding spaces.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Yup, no tank mates for a 2.5....you need at least a 5 for shrimp and frogs, and at least a 10 for actual fish tankmates.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a filter in a 2.5...I'm pretty sure that's to small to cycle.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #6 
ForbiddenSecrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Also, I wouldn't bother with a filter in a 2.5...I'm pretty sure that's to small to cycle.
I disagree with that comment. Even if the tank never manages to hold a cycle a filter will keep the water clean and free of floating debris or organic matter. just make sure you get a gentle one that won't bother the poor dear.

Other then that you 'might' try the shrimp but other then that your betta will be happy alone in the 2.5

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 09-21-2010 at 04:55 PM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
I disagree with that comment. Even if the tank never manages to hold a cycle a filter will keep the water clean and free of floating debris or organic matter. just make sure you get a gentle one that won't bother the poor dear.
Ahh, and I must disagree with you there. Lol xD IMHO/E there is no point in a filter unless your cycling...and there really shouldn't be any visible floating debris to be removed if you keep with the necessarily regular 2-3 times per week water changes, unless you go stirring up the substrate. Plus, its just one more thing to hassle with when doing water changes.

Its really a personal preference I suppose in those smaller tanks..xD Haha, just offering advice based on my experience, research, and opinions.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #8 
ForbiddenSecrets

*shrugs* Personal opinion and how often you want to do 100% water changes I suppose. With gravel and live plants that can get tricky constantly.

However whatever works best for the OP =D
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Ahh, yes, I can understand that. Haha, I can't even grow plants in a cycled tank, I wouldn't even want to try it in an uncycled! xD I can definitely see the need for a nice compact little filter then though...yay for fun plant debris :P
Old 09-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #10 
Stormfin

my tank came with a filter, it's not a strong one though so it won't bother my betta.
Stormfin is offline   Reply With Quote