Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #1 
alphabetta4kaden

Tank Kit and Heater Recommendation? Is Aquatic Edge Aquarium Tank Kit 5 Gal good?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a 5 gallon tank/kit for my betta Alpha. He's in a 1.5 gallon now but from what I'm reading here, I'm thinking of upgrading for his sake and mine (less maintenance). Has anyone heard or used this model - aquatic edge 5 gallon kit? It's gotten good reviews and is a good price but still a little skeptical :) Not sure if the filter is any good. If the filter doesn't work, any recommendations for a good filter for a 5 gallon for a betta? Also considering the Eclipse by Marineland.

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/aqua...-5-gal/701002/

Anyone heard of or used a Marina 25W preset submersible heater? It's also a good price so skeptical again :) Are pre-sets better than adjustable? Are submersibles better than glass?

Any recommendations on tanks, filters and heaters are welcome!

Thanks!
alphabetta4kaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

I have the two gallon version, but I havent used it in forever and the cave is now a hiding spot for when I breed.

It's worth it :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #3 
alphabetta4kaden

Did you use their filter? It's $33 with shipping but I can get the Marineland Eclipse for about $10-15 more and their filter seems better. So if I have to get a separate filter for this, then I might just go ahead and get the Eclipse.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #4 
BlueHaven

There is a 5 gallon glass tank kit at walmart that works great for me so far, including the filter and hood with light. It only costs 29.99 at the store, might be 30-31 including tax. The brand is Aqua Culture. :)
I did have to return mine for another one, but that was only because it was shipped properly to the store and there was a large crack in the glass.
The one I have now is just fine though!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

I prefer something wider then taller, for a betta tank, for any fish as a matter of fact.
I have this one from wall-mart:
http://www.specialpetsstore.com/en/a...e-5-p-605.html

I love it.

And as for heaters, all the Hydor Theo line is great, I have two and they rock!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #6 
fishman12

Maybe the Hawkeye 5. Sorry I don't know how to post a link. :(
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

I own that tank & use it - there is nothing wrong with it. However, given the choice I prefer the Hawkeye 5 gal. tank - just more stylish, IMO.

I prefer the submersible, adjustable heaters. A couple beans more, but well worth it, IMO.

I recently purchased two 25 watt Jebo heaters from a vendor on Ebay & have been VERY happy with them - and the price was sure right!!! Also, the shipping was FAST! In case you are interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JEBO-Aquariu...#ht_2962wt_989
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #8 
alphabetta4kaden

Thanks for all the posts! I'm going to go check out the tanks at Walmart. Not sure why I didn't even think about going there. I'll still think about the Aquatic Edge and Eclipse.

Thanks for the info on the heater on ebay. Seems like a good deal. Will probably get it once the 5 gallon tank. Would that heater work in a small tank, like a 1.5 gallon? If I have to wait on the 5 gallon tank, then maybe I'll get the heater now to warm up my little guy :)
Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Hmmmm - I'm not sure how a 25 watt heater would work in a 1 1/2 gal. tank. Plus I don't know if there is even room in the 1 1/2 gal. tank for the heater!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #10 
Alex09

a 25 watt heater would most likely overheat a 1 gal tank. The general rule about heaters is 5 watts per gallon.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote