Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 
TayHudson

New Here & Question

Hello all. This first thread of mine will be short and to the point. I just bought a crown tail betta tonight (first betta i've had in YEARS) and I have a 10G tank I will be putting it in by itself. I don't believe in keeping them in a 1.5G cube. It makes me depressed. But that's just me. Lol.

My question is, I bought some Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus (water conditioner)

Can I use this for the 10G even tho it says bowl? It does have directions for 1tsp per 1 gallon. Does this mean I can use it?

I have a 40G breeder tank that I use API's Stress Coat and I've used TetraFin's water conditioner. Should I use the Betta Bowl or is it ok to use the other conditioners??

I would really appreciate some advice :)

Thanks for reading!
TayHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #2 
BettaLover101

I think it would be fine to use any conditioner. Even though it says Betta Bowl, is still used in tanks, as I use it sometimes. Basically any conditioner for aquarium water can be used for any tank or fish. I prefer Aquasafe as it is Stresscoat and takes chlorine out of the water.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #3 
TayHudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover101 View Post
I think it would be fine to use any conditioner. Even though it says Betta Bowl, is still used in tanks, as I use it sometimes. Basically any conditioner for aquarium water can be used for any tank or fish. I prefer Aquasafe as it is Stresscoat and takes chlorine out of the water.
I meant AquaSafe, I'm sorry. I was typing quickly so I could get the thread posted. Thank you for replying so quickly.

I have the aquasafe but not enough for 10G.

I guess the betta bowl conditioner will be good enough till I have to do the first water change.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #4 
BettaLover101

You only have to use a tiny bit of Aquasafe, maybe half to one cap full of the stuff for a 10 gallon. Its always good to keep an extra bottle of Aquasafe around just incase you run out since it is the only conditioner I use in my own tanks now.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I used 7 drops of Aquasafe per gallon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #6 
Adastra

Your betta should be very happy with the 10G all to himself. Luckily you have other fish tanks, so you can seed the filter in the betta's tank with colonized media from your 40 gallon. :) Typically things marketed specifically for bettas are just watered down high-priced versions of the same supplies used for other tropical fish. As long as the conditioner removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals, you can use it with your betta. Personally, I prefer Seachem Prime because it's concentrated, so you get more real product for your money and the bottle will last longer than other brands.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #7 
TayHudson

Unfortunately I couldn't seed since the fish in the 40 have Ich. I wasn't sure it would be the smartest thing to do. Lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #8 
Adastra

Probably because your 40 gallon is WAY overstocked if your sig is true.. clown loaches, yoyo loaches and common plecos will get too big for a 40G breeder, and if that pleco is a common, you're really pushing 200% overstocking, and even if it's a dwarf plec you're not much better off AT ALL. I think you desperately need to rehome some of these guys. With this much stock you should really be doing two major water changes per week until you get get your numbers down a bit. Good candidates for rehoming are the loaches, the pleco, and the ember tetras. Have you been testing your water parameters lately?

Last edited by Adastra; 09-18-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I use Stress Coat, it's IMO the best for bettas because it helps repair damaged fins.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #10 
TayHudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Probably because your 40 gallon is WAY overstocked if your sig is true.. clown loaches, yoyo loaches and common plecos will get too big for a 40G breeder, and if that pleco is a common, you're really pushing 200% overstocking, and even if it's a dwarf plec you're not much better off AT ALL. I think you desperately need to rehome some of these guys. With this much stock you should really be doing two major water changes per week until you get get your numbers down a bit. Good candidates for rehoming are the loaches, the pleco, and the ember tetras. Have you been testing your water parameters lately?

I know how big the Loaches will become and I plan on moving them to a bigger tank as soon as I can afford to get one.

The Pleco is not a common pleco.

I've been testing my water with every water change and even in between.