Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #1 
Posaune

What to feed bettas?

Hey ,
I just joined this site, and actually just got my beta about 5 days ago. So far Little Guy has been good (though at the moment, he seems to want to float at the top of the tank, getting a gulp of air whenever he starts to sink. Any ideas on whether I should be worried?). I bought Wardley betta food when I got him and had been feeding him that for a couple days, but he refused to eat it. He would get interested on the way down, but lose interest when it hit the bottom. The one time I did see him swallow a pellet, he spit it out and looked at it like it was the grossest thing he's ever had to eat. I went out and bought frozen bloodworms, and he absolutely loves them. So is it alright for his diet to be just bloodworms? Or should I try and coax him into eating pellets too?
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Welcome to the forum!
As long as they are the frozen bloodworm that you have to keep in the freezer and not the freeze dried ones that are found in the fish isle with the flakes and pellets you're OK!
That's the best choice of food if you don't have live fresh food available.
You should read the sticky in the Betta Care section to get a little more familiar to the needs of your new buddy.
You should monitor your water temparature if you don't have a heater because fish get pretty lethargic when the water is too cold. Your fishie might be cold or just in a too small container if he's hanging at the top of the tank and sinking to the bottom constantly.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 
fishman12

Welcome! I think frozen bloodworms are ok, though i would recommend that you get him to eat pellets. Freeze dried bloodworms aren't very good for bettas so if you have those then stop feeding him those. Check the water temperature, it should be around 78-81 degrees. If it is lower, i would recommend a heater. What size is your tank?

Last edited by fishman12; 09-17-2010 at 06:44 PM.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4 
Posaune

I've just got a one gallon bowl with some glass stones on the bottom and a plant in it. The temperature is around 70. I tried a pellet again just now and he gave it the same welcome as the other times :P I'll upload some pictures of it, though he seems a bit more lively right now. I stirred the water up a little with my fingers.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #5 
Adastra

Bettas are tropical fish, this means they need temperatures of 78-83 degrees to be comfortable, healthy, and active. Just a few degrees doesn't seem like it would make much different to big warm-blooded mammals like us, but to a 2" cold-blooded fish, it's the difference between regular and constipated; active and lethargic. I highly recommend returning the bowl and getting a larger container that can be safely heated.

Most heaters are designed to be used in containers of at least two gallons. I only recommend 25watt adjustable heaters, such as this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368 because non adjustable heaters have no thermostat and won't heat your water enough, may overheat it, and will allow the temperature in the tank to fluctuate dangerously. Adjustable heaters are a much better investment that will pay off in the health and longevity of your fish.

Please keep in mind that a 1 gallon container must have a 100% water change and cleaning every other day in order to control the ammonia that your fish is constantly excreting into the tank. Ammonia is a highly toxic substance, in nature it would be converted into less toxic compounds by specialized bacteria, consumed by plants, and diluted by larger quantities of water. In small containers like this one, you have to do the job of all three of these elements--and that takes work. Make sure you condition the water with a dechlorinator with each water change and carefully match the temperature of the old and new water before you begin acclimating your fish.

As for feeding, which I forgot is the actual topic of this thread, you should try to get a quality pellet and use that as a staple, and supplement that with the frozen foods. I recommend OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets, Atison's Betta Pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, and New Life Spectrum. All of these are good brands.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-17-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #6 
Alex09

70F is too cold for a betta.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #7 
Posaune

Thanks for the information Adastra, found my receipt (after sifting through garbage, but that's what I get for throwing it away :P ) so I'll go and return the bowl to wal-mart tomorrow and go get a tank, heater, and food.
As far as the pellet foods, are there any tricks to getting him to eat it? I'll look for the brands you recommend. Maybe he'll like those more.

Last edited by Posaune; 09-17-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

Some people use garlic juice to moisten their pellets to make it more yummy for the fish.
I would remove your tank from the window. Too much light will make your temparature fluctuate too much and will make algae grow in your tanks.
I mainly feed my fish frozen bloodworms with pellets probably 2-3 times a week. Mostly when I don't have time to defrost worms and feed one by one to all my fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #9 
Posaune

Those fish have good taste then, nothing better than garlic! I'll try that if he doesn't like the pellets I get him.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

a 1 gallon bowl will need a complete cleaning once a week. I'd upgrade to at least a 2.5 gallon with heating, filtration, and some live plants and natural gravel (my idea of the perfect setup but you can get colored gravel and different colred plants).

But KEEP the bowl. You may need it later (like if your fish gets super sick and needs medications you can use it for a hospital tank).

Personally I feed HBH Betta Bites, frozen bloodworms, Hikari Bio-Gold pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and the occasional treat of baby brine shrimp (I feed the babys that and sometimes the adults).

Be careful with freeze dried bloodworms, they can cause bloat which is why I only feed them 2 times a week.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 09-17-2010 at 10:53 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote