Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #1 
Bettas are Betta

Exclamation 10g cold canadian winters!!!!

HELLLLP!!!!!

My heater for my 10g pretty much melted and I'm completely broke because im only 12 and I have spent all my money on movies and popcorn yesterday and I cant affored to buy my freezing 10g a new heater.
Right now the temps are at 72!!! I feel sooo horrible! Now I have a dark towel over top of the tank so it holds in heat I think... What can i do to warm up my tank besides turning up the house temp because my mom hates it and turns it back down?? And to make it even better I live in Canada and its not even winter yet!!! I'm so worried!
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #2 
Euphie101

72 isn't too much below what it should be (75-86 degrees F) but I would put a desk light over him and put him in the warmest room in the house that has sunlight to keep him warm, then save up for a new heater.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #3 
JKfish

Get a table lamp or reading lamp, and set it next to the tank if it is incandescent, it'll probablly produce enough heat to slightly lift the temp of your tank.

I'm not sure if this is safe or not, but I read somewhere if you heat water and pour it into water bottles and float the water bottles in the tank, that it'll help as well. When you heat the water for the water bottles, obviously make sure it isn't too hot, and that you can still hold it without burning yourself.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #4 
Bettas are Betta

Wouldn't the plastic from the bottles leak toxins? and i cant move his tank its too heavy. Should i put him into a smaller tank for now?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #5 
JKfish

I doubt it. After all, many members use plastic water bottles to baffle their filters.
Moving him in a smaller tank wouldn't be a good idea. The water temperatures fluctuate really quickly in those and can make them sick. Larger aquariums take longer to cool off.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #6 
frogipoi

... ^ do the above!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #7 
Bettas are Betta

I meant wouldnt it leak toxins if you put hot water in it? I'm a sucker for those survival shows with that dude who survives a week in places. There was one episode where he found a water bottle and boiled water and put it a bottle and said "Oh yeah dont do this unless you need to because the hot water will release toxins from the plastic.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Well it will but most water bottles (like the kind you hike with the thick kind) are BPA free these days. =] Look for one that says BPA free on it. If you have a Britta Pitcher that came with a water bottle then it's BPA free. =]

Plus as long as you don't put boiling water in a regular bottle it should be ok short term.

Oh! If you have a baby bottle those should be ok. Those are usually BPA free seeing as you often put boiling water in them and people don't want to expose their new children to toxins. =]

Like it was said above put a lamp with an incandescent bulb close to it.
Keeping the tank well insulated with scarves or a blanket would also help keep the heat in. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #9 
peaches3221

what wallywestisthebest33 said! hahaha! don't make it too hot and it should be fine
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #10 
betta99

good luck. just do the above :)
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote