Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #1 
suyadii

Unhappy help my betta. please :( im worried.

Last 2 days ( which is friday) i bought new Betta fish.
Which is my first betta fish, and its healthy and i like it .
Then, on the NExt day with is yesterday ,i bought Female betta. Which i wanna try to breed them,
then the 2 bettas, started to chasing which is the male chase the male one.

then , the next day, which is TODAY , i found out , my tank , theres a bubble on top , a layer of bubble.

what should i do NOW and NEXT?

Please Help , im worried if i entered the wrong step of breeding.
And the video (sorry my cam does not have focus.)
theres a bubble layered on top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPq1qkC8qWQ
Heeres the photo of it:

Last edited by suyadii; 09-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.
suyadii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #2 
metalbetta

I'm not sure if I understand this fully. so, you tried breeding them right after you bought them? In that container? and they fought? No surprise there.
There's a TON of research you have to do before you even consider breeding. I really hope I'm misunderstanding you and you've done so already.
There are plenty of experienced breeders on this forum that will be happy to help you. I hope one of them finds this post and tells you exactly what you need to do.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #3 
metalbetta

Also, absolutely do NOT keep them in the same container for any length of time unless you are in the process of properly breeding them.

From what I can see from your pictures you're missing a decent amount of things your bettas need. I'll link you to a basic caresheet for you to refer to as you accomodate your new friends. (they're both beautiful by the way)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

First things first though, definitely buy a heater for your tank as soon as you can (winter's coming!)... your fish will thrive most at around 80 degrees (there's a fair amount of debate on the proper temp, but 80 usually seems to be the consensus), and also you may want to put more water into your tank. Don't forget to condition it!
A hiding place is also necessary for your betta to be comfortable. for the time being, a cleaned out coffee mug or a terra cotta pot would work.
Substrate is also a good idea. A nice layer of aquarium gravel and/or aquarium marbles will be beneficial and will add a nice flair to your tank.
Best of luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #4 
TharBePirates

Are they in the same little tank together?

Your male blew a bubble nest, it's natural. He's trying to get the female interested in breeding.

This is my saying for the day but.... this... kinda sounds impulsive.

You really need to rethink this. Just properly caring for one fish is expensive. One fish should have his very own place that's at least 2 gallons with no other betta living there (even if its a female) with a heater and hopefully a filter, gravel, food, plants, other decorations, treatment for the water. And that's the bare minimum. For one fish.
Breeding, properly, in a way that won't kill your fish (and their fry) is ludicrously expensive and time consuming. It's something that takes a lot of money and commitment. Also, if you want to get down to the breeding of it all, I'm pretty sure that female is a veil tail. Bred with that crown tail male, if any of the fry do survive, their fins will look very unattractive. It's just the genetics of that pairing.

I'm not trying to be mean, we all make mistakes (lord knows I made a big one a few days back and I'm paying for it). But this isn't safe at all for your bettas, and you need to focus on getting them adequate housing and just taking care of them. Just the two of them. Trust me, that's a lot as it is.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #5 
suyadii

the thing is that, theres a bubble nest,
but , how to know wether the female already produce the egg?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #6 
metalbetta

She won't be if you continue to try breeding them like you are. Even if she does lay eggs, the fry will probably not survive the conditions you are providing. Seriously rethink this.

This is my saying for the day.

RESEARCH.

I've seen too many animals suffer because owners don't research their needs before considering bringing them home.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #7 
suyadii

i will remove the male and female on the other container ,
then i let the fry stay in the tank ,is that okay?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #8 
metalbetta

Absolutely not.
A spawn can produce over 100 fry ON AVERAGE. Some breeders may have a different number but I guarantee you it would be more. That tank is not suitable for that many fish of ANY kind.
The fry will need proper heat and food and at least a 10 gallon tank. I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider breeding your pair. At least wait until you have learned to care for the fish you have already.

RESEARCH is key.

PERIOD.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #9 
suyadii

okok , just tell me.
how to know wether the female has lay her eggs?
i mean , how to know, wether the bubbles filled with the female eggs?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #10 
TharBePirates

Pretty sure they haven't spawned yet. Which means, there are no eggs, there are no fry. Don't worry about it. Just get them out of the same tiny tank and set them up so they can have their own tanks. When you remove the female, you might consider taking the male out and changing his water. Two fish in the small space produces a lot of waste, and he could get ammonia poisoning easily. It's very painful for fish.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote