Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #11 
metalbetta

If you're going to totally ignore every word I am saying, I see no point in giving you advice.
I'm sorry, but this maltreatment of an animal angers me to the point of not being able to say any more.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #12 
suyadii

washing out?
then how about the bubbles?
suyadii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #13 
suyadii

im not ignoring, im just CURIOUS . THATS ALL.
And my pet shop says , this kind of tanks , any size, will DO.
Its like Thai ways.
THATSS ALL .
im not harming these fishes!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #14 
TharBePirates

Just ignore the bubbles.

Read these links.

The first one explains how intensive breeding is-
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=51624

Second on is more about caring for them-
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

I'm out too.

Good luck.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #15 
suyadii

well, you guys dont help me at all.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #16 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by suyadii View Post
im not ignoring, im just CURIOUS . THATS ALL.
And my pet shop says , this kind of tanks , any size, will DO.
Its like Thai ways.
THATSS ALL .
im not harming these fishes!
Pet Shops are in it for the profit kiddo. Just because it's on their shelves doesn't mean it's good for your fish, they just want to sell it. It's the point of you know, that whole economy thing.

We get you're not intentionally harming them, but the situation you put them in was (or is, if you haven't taken one out yet).

Also chill out and take a grown up pill. Understand that if someone responds to you and you don't respond back and simply keep asking questions, they think you're ignoring them.

If you're curious about breeding, you can google and read and search this forum till your heart's content.

Laters.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #17 
MrVampire181

Ok first: The Thai way ONLY works in very warm areas.

Second, I've bred in containers like that and lemme tell you it's more work than it's worth. Just go out and get a 10 gallon tank kit with a heater, light and hood. If you breed in those you need to move them at 2 weeks of age, way to young. Now I breed in 5 and 10 gallons.

You need a heater, small bubbling filter, TONS of live plants, live food (I use infusoria and baby brine shrimp), a large (20 gallon or more) growout tank that has filtration and heating, at least 50 jars for males and homes for them. The link in my signature has in depth info on breeding them (my method).

Do a TON of research!!!!! You can't just throw them together and expect them to breed. I have bred new purchased bettas and bettas shipped in within a few days of arrival but it's best to condition them for 2 weeks before trying to breed them.

Please, if you breed them hundreds of fry will lose their lives if your not careful. I know you're not trying to mistreat them but do research.

Oh and NEVER listen to petstore employees....99.9% of them are idiots. The other .1% smart ones are on this forum lol.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #18 
Lion Mom

I don't mean to be rude, BUT - if you don't even know a bubble nest when you see one, you have NO business attempting to breed Bettas!!!!

RESEARCH, RESEARCH & then RESEARCH some more!!!!

Grrrrrr.............
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #19 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I don't mean to be rude, BUT - if you don't even know a bubble nest when you see one, you have NO business attempting to breed Bettas!!!!

RESEARCH, RESEARCH & then RESEARCH some more!!!!

Grrrrrr.............
Well thats true.

And how can you say we're not helping? we're giving you a ton of info and links...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #20 
Adastra

Clearly the OP is just mistaken and misinformed.

Suyadii, please consider that breeding bettas is unlike breeding most other fish due to the unique behavioral aspects of these domesticated fish. For the last 700 years, and probably even longer, bettas have been selectively bred over thousands of generations to be nothing but effective killers of their own species. Humanity has ingrained this violent behavior within them, so the idea that putting two together will get them to breed "as they would in nature" is a moot point.

Consider the American Pit Bull Terrier, while it is a terrible and sad fact, many of these dogs are being bred today for dog aggression. These dogs are so violent that the breeders have to put the female in a special device in order to prevent her from killing the male. We have to take the same precautions with bettas as we would with dogs, except that we don't have the same tools to work with, so instead, the bettas have to be conditioned for weeks to increase the chances of spawning and to decrease the risk of death by exhaustion and starvation, especially for the male, who will not eat after the spawning until his fry are free swimming.

The small enclosure Thai method is only for the most experienced breeders. Their stock have been conditioned and they have the experience to know when the pair will breed, and when they will only injure each other. Pet stores are full of extremely ignorant people--the little training they get is focused on how to sell you products, not great animal care. The simple fact is, the store makes a higher profit off of those little dinky plastic made-in-china "betta tanks" than they do the larger and more simply constructed glass tanks. They don't care if your fish die--that just means you come back and buy more fish and medication and supplies from them. You were fooled. All of the people on this forum don't sit around telling new members lies just for kicks, we're all trying to help you and your fish.

Your male and female were not properly conditioned. Conditioning gets them both "in the mood" to spawn, and triggers the female to start producing eggs. This is a complicated process that will not just happen by throwing the two fish together.

Please get a different container and separate your fish immediately. Once you have done that, I highly suggest researching the care needs of betta splendens. This thread is a good start: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

Don't let ignorance and bad information kill your fish and ruin this hobby for you.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote