Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #11 
Feral

Grazie mille Ajones, and thank you for the welcome, though because of the kind responses of your members, I do already feel welcome here- the response to my questions has been more than pleasant. Such is not always the case, I can attest.

I will take your recommendation and run with it- I, as I gather you do, tend to take something that starts as a dabble and turn it into an avocation if I'm reasonably successful at it, so it may well turn out that what is a minor saving to start out becomes a real break over the long haul. Yes, I am of age to shop online (several times over actually) though not neccesarily commensurately wise Now days I'm happy to putter around the house after work, enjoying my plants and most recently, Bettas. I can see where they'd be easy to become addicted to! Lil' is quite the handsome boy and full of fearless personality, when he's well. I feel like I've let down a human friend...

Bloodworms- Little Dude took one look at them and I swear, if such a thing is possible, he looked at me and sneered. Likewise the pellets. He seems not to recognize anything that doesn't float as food, and that shot down the frozen brine shrimp too, aarrrrrghh... He's quit doing anything more than perfunctorily mouthing the freezedried brine shrimp and that may be normal considering he's feeling poorly, but it makes me wonder if perhaps they have gone bad and maybe that's the source of his illness. I'd intended to buy more of them today and see if that might be the case, but they were sold out. So many variables and I have so little experience to draw from.

On a seperate matter, I see your response on the heater size thread, and take your point- surely a 100 watt heater is overkill bulkwise as well as in capability, and I can see the potential for a fish fry (what a scene to come to, eh?) which is why I included the caveat as to the thermostat. It would be interesting to me to know what the relative numbers are for overheating incidents versus failure to heat.

I'm sure there are good logistics behind the availability of various sizes, so of course you are right there. I'd think it would be simple enough to incorporate a fail safe thermoswitch in such devices, and maybe a good idea on the manufacturers part considering how much money some people have in their finned pals. Hmm, do I smell a market niche here? But I'm getting overly wordy again (you got nothin' on me there pal )

Thank you for your help!

-F

Last edited by Feral; 09-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

Happy to know theres another person interested in the betta keeping hobby!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #13 
Feral

Yeaaaaa!!! Litttle Dude is up and prowling his new environs this morning! I peeked in on him a few times and he was investigating the entire place- 'OOOH, what's this? OOOH what's this?' I'm so happy to see this, at least he's not at deaths door and I have a chance to do right by him. Still just fiddling with his brine shrimp (and could give a fig less about the pellets) but at least he's interested and that can't be a bad sign

Not sure what the difference is- it's still RO water, but bowl is triple+ volume and he now has the 78f heater. At least he's looking happier and if this helped out, that's a good enough start for me! So it's onward to the conditioners and tretments suggested by you kind people.

Have a GREAT one all, and thank you again for sharing your experience

-Feral
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #14 
Ajones108

Stick around, you'll learn more and more. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #15 
KukaaKatchou

so Hikari Betta Gold isn't a complete balanced food for my betta?
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #16 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KukaaKatchou View Post
so Hikari Betta Gold isn't a complete balanced food for my betta?
It's first ingredient is wheat based which bettas aren't made to digest. Hikari has some nutrients, but once it was replaced with fillers a lot of people stopped recommending it. However, no food has the complete balanced diet for a betta, which is why it's good to have a high protein, meat based staple food like a good pellet and frozed bloodworms or brine shrimp as a treat occasionally to fill in the missing links. :)
Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #17 
KukaaKatchou

ok I have some bloodworms and I can get some frozen brine shrimp. Do they need to thaw first? Do I need to kept the pellets somewhere to keep them fresh? Not that Sam is eating the pellets yet.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #18 
luv2run21

keep trying! He is probably too cold so get a heater and set it up to about 76 to 80
luv2run21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #19 
KukaaKatchou

We are at 80, he ate 2 pellets once I made them move around in the water like they were alive :P Picked up some frozen brine shrimp while I was out buying another thermometer. He had a rehydrated bloodworm as a snack as well. Now he's in his home with no light b/c he had 2 water changes today and I want to minimize the stress on him
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #20 
Ajones108

Don't throw in a whole cube of the frozen stuff or he'll get bloated. I think most people get a small bowl with some water and break up the cubes, give him a couple worms and refridgerare/refreeze the rest until another feeding time.