Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #21 
Lion Mom

Yes, they have to be defrosted in tank water. Just a few, though! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #22 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2run21 View Post
keep trying! He is probably too cold so get a heater and set it up to about 76 to 80
I think you hit the major malfunction on the head- I came home this afternoon and now he is cruising the new bowl (WITH heater) as though nothing had ever been wrong. Remarkable... played 'ring and run' on deaths door and lives to tell about it. Even his color is substantially more vibrant.

Mind you, I am NOT,NOT, NOT going to call it good at this point, water treatments and conditioners are on this weekends schedule and will be scrupulously ministered as per directions from here out, as will more frequent water changes.

Thank you all for your recommendations and concern, with your help Little Dude will live a full and happy life now :-> and....

I will not forget that you were here for us in the hour of need. Many, MANY thanks!

-Feral
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #23 
Ajones108

We're all nervous in the beginning. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #24 
Feral

Waaa- hooooo!

What have you people done? I followed your suggestions faithfully, treated tap water, heater, bigger tank, etc and all and now I have a MONSTER on my hands!

Seriously though, the difference is nothing short of remarkable- he's faaaar perkier than at any point since I've had him. Attitude? Whoaaaa...

Except when he's just relaxing, he bolts everywhere he goes, and this critter is fast too! Attitude? Something like a hybridized piranha/great white, I mean he comes almost halfway out of the water when he hits his food, and he'll run at it from all the way across his 6 gallon bowl. Just amazing.... Displays more, better color too, you name it.

Thank you folks, it's an amazing turnaround. Just wish I'd come to this forum before I got him and his now expired cross town companion.

Now a question- I've been feeding him live tiny insects and he just loves 'em, but I also got him some frozen brine shrimp (since he has a taste for the freeze dried stuff) but as I mentioned before, he doesn't seem to recognize anything that doesn't float as food. Anyone have any thoughts as to how to retrain him or make the frozen stuff float?

Just for giggles, here's a pic of Little Dude in his new environs- will post a better pic of his bowl on the Betta housing thread in a bit.

Thanks again folks, you're the best!

-F
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #25 
KukaaKatchou

hmmm when I defrosted my brine shrimps they sank like stones but Sam knew right away that was GOOD FOOD. He was like a mini hoover vac on speed trying to snap them all up. Maybe wet a thread, stick some shrimps on it and dangle it near him??

Oh and Little Dude looks a lot like Sam except Sam has iridescent blue not green.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #26 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KukaaKatchou View Post
hmmm when I defrosted my brine shrimps they sank like stones but Sam knew right away that was GOOD FOOD. He was like a mini hoover vac on speed trying to snap them all up. Maybe wet a thread, stick some shrimps on it and dangle it near him??

Oh and Little Dude looks a lot like Sam except Sam has iridescent blue not green.
I don't know what the deal is, but LD treats everything that doesn't float like part of the scenery, no interest in eating it at all... the only thing I can figure is that he's totally conditioned to eating from the top.

Believe it or not, when I got LD, his body appeared to me almost a black/red! It was only after he settled in (and before he got sick) that he got that metalic green swath- strange fish, these Bettas, but LOADS of personality, LOL.

Hmm, the thread thing sounds like an idea, but how to get the brine shrimp to stick to it I wonder? Might be fun to see if he'll actually come out of the water to get food - maybe after he gets a taste, huh? Like feeding Shamu at Marineland! Haa!

Thanks for the idea!

-Feral
Old 09-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #27 
vaygirl

You can use tweezers to hold them out to him, just make sure you're not using sharp tweezers. My husband had a pair that I stole out of his 'man-case' (don't tell!).

I usually melt the cube in a little tupperware bowl of tank water and then pick up individual shrimp and wiggle it around in the water in front of the fishy. They get really good at associating your hand with food so it helps if he's zero-ing in on the motion. If he's not into frozen brine shrimp, you can try frozen bloodworms. They usually LOVE these with an unholy passion. Just to give you an idea of how unholy; Kilo once knocked the tweezers right out of my hand coming out of the water after a bloodworm. This is the reason for very dull tweezers. :)

Your posts made me smile. It's really nice to see someone so passionate about learning to care for these little guys. They're very worth the effort. And they'll wrap you around their little 'finger' if you let them.

Edit: He's beautiful, by the way.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #28 
nochoramet

I loved this entire thread! I agree with VG, it's great to see someone with as much passion for these little guys. They definitely need more people like you! And they will be spoiled before it's over. They're little packages of dynamite, bubbling with personality and charm. I love bettas.
Welcome to the forum! :)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #29 
FuulieQ

You and your fish are both adorable! I wish you were my uncle or something!! :)

I hope you stick around. Reading your posts is like perusing a good newspaper satire article. I keep giggling because you just seem like such a cool person.

It's great to see that you care about your fish so much. I hope he sticks around with you for a long time yet. :) When you get a betta in a good environment, they sure do explode, don't they? After I moved my previously shy, people-hating betta into a five gallon, suddenly he wants to eat out of my hand!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #30 
Feral

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and for sharing your wealth of experience too! I'm glad you find the thread entertaining- I try to leave a smile on the readers faces because after all, at this point it's really about all I can do for you... SOOOO much to learn. Poor LD is the unwitting Guinea Pig for my bumbling, but your advice has already improved his lot in life and will continue to do so I know. Why have a pet at all unless you're going to spoil them rotten? So yes, you can bet I'll be sticking around (and pssst, don't tell anyone but I've been enjoying the various personalities around here too )

Yes, I find that I become passionate about the things I do or I just quit doing them! Anything worth doing is worth overdoing I think. You should have seen me when I was raising Rhodesian Ridgebacks! I ended up keeping 14 of the rascals, but it was well worth it and then some. I bought LD because I have a plant room that I use as my 'unwind place' and it needed a splash of color and motion but little did I know that this tiny guy was going to be such a dynamic personality! I'd never have guessed that so much character could come in such a tiny package and now it's too late to turn around, I'm hooked and there's no turning back .

Thank you yet again for your suggestions,
I'll try 'em all until I find one that works. Right now though. it's (UGGHH!) off to work.

Have a great day everyone!

-F

Last edited by Feral; 09-27-2010 at 07:30 AM.