Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #1 
NoodleSolly

Spilt Betta Tail

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd jump straight in with a problem I've been having.
My betta's anal and caudal fins have been getting spilts in them. The spilts are getting worse and I have no idea whats causing them. It looks like he's torn them but the problem is they are numerous (about 4 or 5 small ones on his caudal fin and 1 long split on his anal fin) and they are getting longer.
My tank is heated, planted, filtered, 6gallons, well lit and I do 25% water changes once a week. Noodle (my betta) is eating well and looks pretty lively.
Has anyone experienced these spontaneous tears, what's causing them and what can I do to stop it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by NoodleSolly; 09-20-2010 at 09:32 AM.
NoodleSolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your set-up and care sounds great....

The one thing I have found with this species and fins is often the water movement-sometimes too strong of a current is all it takes to cause the torn fins....kinda like a flag blowing in the wind affect......also, some substrate can be the cause as well

What kind or tail type is he?

What kind and how many live plants?

Can you post a pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #3 
NoodleSolly

Noodle is a delta tail. I have 4 planted live plants (Hygrophila spp. and one tiny Amazon Sword) and a few floating plants (Hornwort). I just have regular gravel substrate. The only water movement in my tank is the bubbles from my filter (no airstone).

I attached a pic. It would have been better but he wouldn't stop moving
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #4 
NoodleSolly

I've also been reading other threads on the forum (Sorry, think I may have put this in the wrong section!) and people say that you should add aquarium salt (1 teaspoon/gallon). But I heard that if it's just a wound then rather not add salt as this hurts them and that you use salt mainly for diseases?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would not recommend long term salt, it is great for short term treatments, but I would go with more water changes and baffle the filter first-treatments are great but you need to find the cause too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #6 
NEWBEE FISH

Are the gaps in between the tails? if they are i had the same problem.. a little AQ salt healed my fishy's tail in 2-3 days.. with the recommended dose's
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #7 
NoodleSolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEE FISH View Post
Are the gaps in between the tails?
Do you mean gaps between the spilts pieces? Like a piece is missing so that its not just a spilt? If so, then yes. Its almost like if I put the two pieces of tail on either side of the split togethet there would be a piece missing like a hole. But is this not finrot?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #8 
NEWBEE FISH

no its not fin rot (but im just as new as you are).. yes i mean splits.. like i said had that problem maybe 3 weeks ago or so... just put a little AQ salt and there was a major improvement the next day and he cleared within 2 days....
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote