Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #1 
KukaaKatchou

Question Water Change - need help!

I just did a water change and plant arrangement in Sam's tank. How do I get him back in? Do I put him in a baggie and float him for a while, or net and scoop? I tagged this question on an end of another post so sorry for the repeat but I would love to know the best way to get Sam back in his home :)
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #2 
Alex09

depends. Was it a 100% change? is the temp different? If I do a water change of over 50% I scoop him out (in his betta cup), change the water, and float his cup for about 10-15 min. If I do a change of less than 50% I leave him in his tank. But I have a 10 gal so the temp doesnt fluctuate so drastically.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #3 
KukaaKatchou

it was a 100% change. I put him in a holding tank with his old water then put him into a baggie with that water, floated him a bit in his tank then netted him and put him in. Hope I didn't stress him out too much - I was stressed LOL
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #4 
Ajones108

Not only do you have to acclimate to temperature, you also have to acclimate to the new water. What you did is all right, but next time you do a WC you should gradually remove old water from the baggy and add new tank water every 15 minutes or so (is what I do) but most of the time I dramatically stretch out the amount of time so that they're good with the new stuff. :p
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #5 
Alex09

If your water is from the same source you dont need to do that every time do you? isnt it supposed to have the same parameters as the old one?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Depends on how old your old tank water is. During its use the pH slowly drops, ammonia builds up, etc. So even though the new water is from the same source, it's still good to practice proper acclimation techniques to avoid a pH shock.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #7 
Lilpeanut

KukaaKatchou, whenever I do a water change, I take him out and put him into a little bowl with the water from his tank. I feel the new water with my hand and try to get it as close to the temperature as his tank's water before I changed it. Remember to put in a few drops of dechlorinator in your tank, depending how big your tank is, or it could kill your fish. Adding a little bit of salt (1/2 tsp per gallon) would help him ward off disease and keep him healthy.

Last edited by Lilpeanut; 09-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Lilpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #8 
luv2run21

put him in a baggie with his old water then float him for about 30 min then dump the baggie with sam in it into the tank
luv2run21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #9 
KukaaKatchou

well I had to do 2 water changes today b/c his thermometer cracked and some ball bearings came out and the woman at the fish store said they could be lead so I threw out the rocks and cleaned the water again. Baggied Sam again and let him float in the clean water - I use a thermometer to make it as close as I can to the same temp. She told me I should also add some freshwater cycle to the water after I treat it?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #10 
Ajones108

luv2run21 - Until you become more experienced with bettas, I wouldn't recommend giving this sort of advice.

Lion Mom and many others have said you must properly acclimate the fish to the new water parameters and not just the temperature. Even adding 50% tank water 50% old water is better than just DUMPING the fish in.