Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #11 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEE FISH View Post
so ghost shrimp dont eat algae?
They will, but only if there is no other food available. It is their last choice option. They do much better on just a normal sinking fish food.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #12 
NEWBEE FISH

OK... do u know if u can inter-mix the two types of shrimp? since you said the red cherry shrimp eat more algae...
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #13 
carpenter547
Banned

ghost shrimps will fight with your cherry shrimp durring feeding mating and molting times. if you already have ghost shrimps stick with them especially with a small tank.

no ghost shrimp are not an algae remover they are more of an algae preventer.
they eat big poop and make little poop. they eat every thing that falls to the ground and some things that float.

i over feed my fish so i grow the whitish fuzzy hydra *i have been told that is what they are* and my ghost shrimp will eat those alot.

but no unless you drop them into a fuzzy green tank and then don't feed them they will not eat algae.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #14 
NEWBEE FISH

[QUOTE=
no ghost shrimp are not an algae remover they are more of an algae preventer.

i think thats what i wanted to hear and know.. about the algae prenventing
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #15 
Posaune

So, if I have a ten gallon, with one betta and 5 ghost shrimp, I can get 5 more shrimp and still be ok?
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #16 
carpenter547
Banned

most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
So, if I have a ten gallon, with one betta and 5 ghost shrimp, I can get 5 more shrimp and still be ok?
the real anser is mabey it all depends. 1 shrimp per gallon is about the same as one inch per gallon.

if you are filtered and your tank has the floor space of a normal 10 gallon standard then you can put about 10 full grown female ghost shrimps in it most likely *if you get agressive macros weed them out* if you have decorations you can get away with almost 20 of them full grown *depending on size of decoration etc.*

ghost shrimp aren't like fish they don't need alot of room if you stock slowly as opposed to just walking down to walmart and saying gimme 20 *like i did* then you will be able to find your and thier own personal balance.

for example with my tank. i looked at my violet goby and saw that 3 ghosts weren't handling his left overs as fast as i wanted. so i looked at the floor space and said "wow i got room for like 20" so i went to walmart saw a fresh shipment of young ones looked at the guy working there and the conversation went like this no joke.
me: hi i would like 20 ghost shrimps please.
him: ? que honda?
me: grrrr... baennte camarons porfavor sinor
him: f*** ju wan twenty chrimps man?
me: yup . mushas grasias sinor.
after about 3- 5 minutes of catching and trying to count the right number of shrimps we both looked at each other started laughing and agreed 15 was a good number and the lady at the cash register could count them out if she didn't believe.

there were 23 in the bag.

*all spanish is spelled phonetically for those who can't handle that tuff i learned to speak it not spell it.*
Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #17 
NEWBEE FISH

so all your shrimp are still alive?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #18 
CjRager89

i just picked up some ghosties for my 10 gal today. 8 for $1....yea, im there lol
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #19 
carpenter547
Banned

yeah all of them are alive. minus one who was attacked by either other shrimps or got attacked by the mollies in the tank right after a molt.

in the last month i have had 4 females get berried so far none of the first ones litter survived :( i think the second female in the tank 2.5 hospital ate them or a lack of food starved them. since then i have been adding very small amounts of super crushed flake as i have read that works for them. any way experimenting on how to get thier young to live. i have a small journal going on at aquariacentral.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #20 
NEWBEE FISH

i read somewhere they like java moss....