Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #1 
mccauleym125

Home for a betta

I have recently decided to invest in some kind of fish for my dorm room, and Bettas seem really cool to me. I was wondering what a good 2.5 to five gallon starter tank would be. A kit would be really helpful too, since I really have no idea how to set up a fish tank.

By the way this is my first post here, so HI everybody! Thanks for any help you can give.
mccauleym125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hello! Welcome to the forum!! :)
Its good to see your doing research and asking questions before you get your new fishy friend! xD

If your looking for just a 2.5 or so I'd go with a Medium 'Kritter Keeper' from the reptile section(those tend to hold up better). They're light and easy to do water changes with, don't cost a lot, have a nice lid, and can be safely heated :) You'll want to do full water changes in those about 2-3 times a week.

If you don't want to do that, you can go with a 5 gallon and cycle it, but that will take about a month and you'll have to wait to get your new fishy companion.....but you'd only have to do weekly partial water changes.
Up to you ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #3 
Alex09

Hmm... Walmart sells 2 different 5 gallon kits that come with a filter and hood. You would still need a heater though. Id suggest a 5 gal as they are easier to maintain and don't cost too much more than the smaller tanks anyways.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #4 
mccauleym125

Thanks for the reply. Yeah even with a fish I know it is better not to dive in headfirst. I would feel awful if something happened to it. I will check out the critter keeper. I had one of those awhile back that I kept a lizard in. lol. As for the five gallon tank. How much space would one of those generally take up? I would be interested in getting something alittle bigger now, because after reading I would be able to ad a tankmate for my betta. If I did go with the 5 gal what is the process I would have to go through to cycle the tank? Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #5 
mccauleym125

I may have to make a wal-mart run later today to check out those kits. Judging from the way people have talked though I probably don't want to get my fish from there right?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Heres a nice little place that describes how to do a fishless cycle rather well IMO ;)

Lets see....a slandered 5 gallon glass tank is about 18" long, 8" wide, and 10" tall :)

I wouldn't suggest a tank-mate for him in a 5 gallon....there are very, very few options, and he'd probably be happier living on his own in such a small tank anyway ;)
Though...a 5 gallon does give room for diving, if you end up finding a second little friend you just can't resist...xD

For your first fish, I would suggest a local store or Petco. Walmart and Petsmart generally keep their fish in rather poor conditions and you don't want to get a sick betta for your first one. Petco has a wide variety of tail types, and they don't keep their betta's in quite as bad condition as Petsmart or Walmart, in my experience. Local places can always be fun to check out as well...you never know what you'll find there ;)

Though if you see a betta that just calls out to you...get him, regardless of where hes from. xD

Last edited by DragonFish; 09-20-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #7 
mccauleym125

Thanks for the link. The only question I have (and it may have been answered there and I just missed it) is if I do decide to do live vegitation should I cycle the tank with it in or without it in? That pretty much sells the 5 gal for me. I may end up dividing it later, but for now I will just go with one little guy. I went out today and looked at petco, and wal-mart, and I think I have decided to go with this. I know I will need a heater for it, and I really have no idea where to start there, but I have been reading, and this seems to be the best option. If y'all have any others please let me know. Also will I need another filter, or will the one in the tank be enough?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 
DragonFish

You can cycle with or without plants, that one is all up to you ;)

Hmm...I personally prefer the Marineland heaters, I've had wonderful luck with those. I have this in my 5 gallon and it works wonderfully. :)
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

The Marineland heaters are good, but I recently purchased two 25 watt Jebo heaters I am very happy with.

Got them off Ebay from this seller & thought the price, even with shipping, was very reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3042wt_989

The heaters are fully submersible, can be positioned horizontally or vertically and are adjustable.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #10 
mccauleym125

Thanks again for the info. I think I will prolly get the marineland heater, simply because my local stores carry them.