Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #11 
ashleyy

please don't buy a betta from wal-mart. I did because I felt sooooooooo sorry for this little guy. But I realized that buying him means more betta's will be shipped in to suffer.

But I couldn't leave him.... we made eye contact. lol

By far in my area, Petco has the best variety of bettas and they are generally healthier and more well kept than PetSmart and even my local Aquarium Store.

I have him in a 2.5 gallon Critter Keeper (the size is 'large' I wish they put gallons sizes on there) He has a heater and no filter. I do 100% water changes 3 times a week. I actually like changing out his tank (I like cleaning... I'm weird :] )
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #12 
mccauleym125

Thanks for the info. I will def be getting mine from petco. I always shop there for my dog, and they are always knowledgeable and friendly.
mccauleym125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #13 
Lion Mom

No problem - the Marineland heaters are very good heaters, but more expensive than the Jebo.

The only reason & even tried the Jebo heaters TBH is that I needed two 25 watt heaters and money was a tick tight so I took a chance. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #14 
Alex09

If you DO want live plants just make sure to do your research as many of the plants petco/petsmart sells are not aquatic. Some good ones are:

TUBE PLANTS (come in a little plastic tube)
- Java fern (labeled as tropica fern)
- Wisteria
- Hygrophila (labeled as compacta)

OTHER (possibly youll see them in the tank)
- Anubias
- Moss balls

- Plant bulbs (little dry bubs that come in packages. They have a very low sprouting ratio but the ones that DO sprout supposedly do good)

PLANTS NOT TO BUY (non-aquatic)
- Bamboo
- Mindo Grass
- Kyoto grass
- Brazil sword
- Arrowhead plant

If you out in the plants during cycling they will actually boost the cycle and get it over more quickly as plants absorb ammonia. How quickly depends on the number of plants and whether or no they are fast growing.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote