Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #1 
KukaaKatchou

First Time Fish Owner has questions!

I just got my first betta yesterday - he is a red crown tail. The pet store tried to convince me I needed a tiny little container but I went with a 2.5 gallon plastic container, 3 live plants, small gravel, and a thermometer. One of my plants is a bit tall - can it be trimmed? I bought Hikari Tropical Betta Bio-Gold pellets to feed him. He will put it in his mouth then spit it out. He seems to be chasing down the bits that fall off. Is this normal feeding behavior? I got some blood worms as well for a treat. He is swimming around, enjoys lurking in the plants, and so far seems to be adjusting well. Help would be much appreciated!
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #2 
Capricorn

I've heard that spitting it out and then trying to eat it again is a form of chewing.. not sure, but if he's eating it then I guess it's alright?

You'll need a heater for him, they make small ones that are great for 2.5 gallon tanks. Other than that it looks good I think. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #3 
KukaaKatchou

Ok I will go find a heater. So far the temperature of the water is around 78 with no heater - we keep a warm humid apt because I have a parrotlet. Are crown tail smaller than half moon bettas? My little guy was almost half the body size.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #4 
Capricorn

He may still be young if he's so tiny.. he'll grow. I've noticed more and more that pet stores keep bettas that look much too young to be out on the shelf.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #5 
KukaaKatchou

Alright picked up a heater, an ammonia gauge, a light (thank you plant posting people). Next water change I am going to separate my humongous middle plant into more manageable sections and maybe give it a trim so it doesn't overwhelm my tank. Named the fish Samurai, Sam for short. Am I missing anything?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #6 
Adastra

Personally, I would return the ammonia gauge as they tend to be inaccurate to the point of uselessness. Nothing trumps a good liquid test kit like this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...54&pcatid=4454 although since you're not filtering and cycling the tank, you will only be needing the ammonia tester until the point that you upgrade.

What kind of heater did you end up getting?

Please keep in mind that you should be doing 100% water changes and cleanings every 4 days in a tank that size. Because the only safe quantity of ammonia is 0 ppm, the only way to maintain this reading is by doing frequent 100% water changes in uncycled tanks.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #7 
KukaaKatchou

ok so 100% every 3 to 4 days instead of 50% every 2 days? As how stressed is Sam going to get with the water changes? If I move around his plants, will it make it worse?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #8 
peaches3221

If the water is 78 without a heater, you don't need one
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #9 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
If the water is 78 without a heater, you don't need one
Winter is coming. They'll need a heater.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #10 
KukaaKatchou

Ok I did a water change and am waiting for the temp to match what it is in Sam's holding container - do I baggie him to put him back into his home like when I got him?