Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #1 
KukaaKatchou

broken thermometer!

I did a full water change today and I guess when I put the thermometer back in the bottom cracked. It is the kind that has a small compartment in the bottom with what looks like tiny ball bearings. I'm on my way to get another thermometer but is Sam going to get metal poisoning? I took out the bearings I could find but there might be some under all the rocks. Do I need to do another full water change or can it wait 2 days?
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

You should definitely do a water change. How old is the thermometer? It's probably just alcohol based. If you know the brand you can look up any hazardous materials in it, but if you don't know any of that stuff, definitely do the water change and get out the little metal balls.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 
KukaaKatchou

Back to the fish store to get another thermometer. The person there said that the little metal balls are probably lead so I need to do another water change and she said to throw out the rocks.. So I got more rocks, more water conditioner, a bottle of freshwater cycle (she said I needed it) and since I was there some frozen treats for Sam. I've had him for 48 hours now and I've spent over 150$ on supplies not including his house. sheesh
Old 09-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #4 
Ajones108

Did you read on the packaging to make sure the pet store person wasn't lying? Keep in mind they're only there for the store to make money and will tell you anything they need to get you to buy things. What is freshwater cycle?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #5 
KukaaKatchou

The bottle says it is a biological aquarium supplement that contains a biomass of beneficial bacteria that will rapidly metabolize ammonium and nitrate