Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #1 
soleilvie

Temperature in my tank is 85F!

Just moved house and emptied out most of the water for transportation then set it up right away. The tank is not in direct sunlight and I've been keeping the hood light turned off. I have two thermometers both reading 85F so I'm pretty sure those aren't broken. Before I moved house the temperature stayed at 78-80. Heater is set to 76F and hasn't come on at all (obviously since the water is so warm). My fish doesn't seem to be stressed out or anything. He's acting normal.

Any suggestions? Perhaps 85 is an okay temperature? I'm sure I heard it's not good for it to be too far over 80, with 78 being ideal.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Ideal is between 78-82 with 80 being ideal. :) Just give the water time to cool down. 85 isn't dangerous immediately and a lot of people bump up their temp to about 85 when their fish is on antibiotics to help fight infections easier.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #3 
Adastra

85 degrees isn't terrible, but it shouldn't be that high long term. Pointing a fan at a tank is actually a really good way to get the water to cool down slowly. Propping up the lid of the tank a little bit so more air can escape may also help.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #4 
Lion Mom

How long after you added the new water/set up the tank did you take the temp? Could be you just put in warmer than normal water? I would wait till morning time & check the temp again & see where you are at.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #5 
soleilvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
How long after you added the new water/set up the tank did you take the temp? Could be you just put in warmer than normal water? I would wait till morning time & check the temp again & see where you are at.
Well the tank has been set up for three days now and I've been checking the temperature a few times a day. It's still 85 and hasn't changed. I suppose it's possible the water I put in was a bit warmer than normal. It seemed fine though. I guess when I do my next partial water change I'll make sure the water is cool enough.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleilvie View Post
Well the tank has been set up for three days now and I've been checking the temperature a few times a day. It's still 85 and hasn't changed. I suppose it's possible the water I put in was a bit warmer than normal. It seemed fine though. I guess when I do my next partial water change I'll make sure the water is cool enough.
Hmmm..... that IS unusual! No, even if you had added water that was a bit warmer than the tank water, it would have gone down by now.

What kind of light do you have & how long is it on for? If it's an incandescent bulb, it can heat the water up.

Do you have a heater in the tank? Sorry, I don't remember. If you do, turn it down a couple of degrees if it's an adjustable (the best kind). If it's a pre-set, unplug it & see where you are at.

If none of that applies, do as suggested earlier & prop the lid open a few inches to help the heat escape. Hopefully, that will help.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote