Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #1 
jeanclaudeasher

Help please

I have a 29 gallon tank with 4 ghost cat fish, 3 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose catfish, and 1 male betta. Originally I had my half moon betta in my 29 gallon tank and the edges of his fins kept tearing, someone said that half moons tails tend to rip easily, so the next time I cleaned my tanks I moved my half moon to one of my 2 gallon tanks (his tail looks better) and moved my veil tail into the 29 gallon. His tail started ripping, it will heal most of the way and then another big tear will appear. I have 1 plastic plant in the tank that I have used with several other bettas and never had a problem (and both of my 2 gallon tanks have plastic plants without any fins ripping). All of the other plants in the 29 gallon tank are silk plants. What could be causing his tail to rip, at this point he is started to look more like a crown tail then a veil tail at the edges of his tail?? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here is a picture of my 29 gallon tank, all of the plants except the purple one in the right corner have been removed and replaced with silk plants
Attached Images

jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #2 
sebamd

Do you have any lava stone in there, I had one and it shred my betta's fins in 1 day. Also, are all the decoration holes smooth?
sebamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #3 
jeanclaudeasher

No I dont have any lava stones and yes all of the decorations holes are smooth, my veil tale doesnt seem to like hiding in the decorations anyways =/
Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #4 
Adastra

The tail is not being ripped, it is being nipped. Neon tetras are extremely notorious for nipping at long, flowing betta fins when they're not kept in a proper school. The real problem here is that you only have three of them. Neon tetras swim in schools of thousands of individuals in the wild, so when you have them in such a small group they feel very insecure and nip at the fish around them. Slow-moving bettas have no way to get away from them. I suggest getting 5 more neons so that you have 8 total, and a couple more glass catfish so that you have 6 total. This should really improve the lives of all your fish. With these additions, assuming your filter is for a 30G tank, your tank will be about 80% stocked, so you should probably be doing a 25% water change per week once you get these additional fish.

Your betta would also likely benefit from some taller silk plants--try to find a couple of silk plants that go all the way to the top of the aquarium so that he has more places to hide from the tetras and glass cats.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 
jeanclaudeasher

Alright thanks for the help =) I had 6 glass catfish up until a couple of weeks ago when the 2 older ones passed away and simply havent had the time to go to the fish store and get 2 more. I will get a few more neon tetras as well when I get out there hopefully this week