Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Not a good week... not a good week at all...

Poe just died. I have no clue what was wrong with him. He looked fine to me but when I came home tonight he was dead. I only got to own him for 3 months

First Freddie, then Nancy, now Poe. Something is going on. They all exhibited different symptoms (except Poe who had none) but all went down very quickly. All were in heated cycled tanks with good water parameters.

The rest of my fish seem fine but so did those three. I'm going into super clean mode and doing dailies on all my uncycled tanks and 3 a week on my cycled tanks (2 a week for the 10s). I'm throwing out the pellets I've been using as well as the blood worms. I'm going to bleach all my equipment... again. I'll be testing my water and also getting it tested by a few different LPS.

If any more of my fish die I'll be devastated. I lost three of my favorites in two weeks. Poe was my absolute favorite fish and I waited a long long time to adopt him. I was about to upgrade him from a 5 to a 12 gallon tank. He would have loved it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #2 
beat2020

Oh no!
I am so sorry Jackie :(
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #3 
xswornxoffxjello

Ach! No!

I hate to ask, but do you think it could be TB? Or something else? Your fish had such wide arrays of symptoms and then died.

I'm so sorry about Poe.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #4 
KenzieSK

D: i hope things get better. sorry about poe.
KenzieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I don't think its TB. TB has symptoms like tumors and bloating and its usually not contagious. I'm more inclined to think it is some sort of virus but that doesn't explain why one fish out of my whole sorority gets sick and then two males who had separate tanks got sick but none of my other fish.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Hmmm sounds fishy (no pun intended). I'm seriously thinking you got TB in your tanks. TB dosen't have certain symptoms. Many symptoms may occur, or nothing at all. Some will seem sick or some just drop dead.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #7 
JKfish

Ouch, I'm sorry for your losses 1Fish2Fish :( That's really tough.

Could it be something in the water. I know in spring and fall the chlorine and chloramine and chemicals in the water fluctuate a lot, do you that could have anything to do with it?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #8 
metalbetta

Oh wow... I would be devastated too. So sorry for your losses.
I wonder if age could have been a factor? Forgive me if I'm wrong since I have no clue how old your bettas are, but it might have just been their time.
I've never had a run-in with TB (or any serious fish illness for that matter) *knock on wood* So I guess I couldn't offer many suggestions. But you seem to be taking excellent precautions.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh no, not again! Maybe it's the bloodworms. I hope you find out what's going on. I remember when the same thing happened to Fishyinpa. I don't think she ever found out what the problem was.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I don't know if its the water or not. I haven't tested the tap since I moved back. I'm going to test it with my API tests tomorrow and then take it to a couple pet stores to see if their tests match my readings. I use a lot of Prime so I would hope any traces of ammonia would be taken care of by that but I don't know. If something was in the water I don't know why the fish in my cycled tanks would be the first to get sick. The fish in my bare bottom tanks are doing fine.

I don't know why it would be my blood worms but that is the only thing I fed Poe (because pellets are bad for kings.. or so I'm told). I also feed them a lot to my other fish as well. I would think that if the bloodworms were bad that all my fish would be sick. I'm not going to take a chance though.

I don't know how old Poe was but Nancy wasn't very old (under a year I'd wager). Freddie was about 2 years old. I could have probably saved Freddie had I known what his symptoms meant (I do now). Nancy seemed fine right up until she pine coned and Poe had no out ward signs that I could tell... but I was a little too upset to really go over his body.

I'm hoping its just a freak thing. So far the rest of the girls in the sorority seem fine as do all the other fish. My one remaining fry is doing well also.