Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #1 
AaryonN

Help with food

Today i went to petsmart and i bought some frozen blood worms, i wanted to know if i can feed this to my betta everyday, nothing else? or is feeding it everyday bad for it? help please
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 
ashleyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaryonN View Post
Today i went to petsmart and i bought some frozen blood worms, i wanted to know if i can feed this to my betta everyday, nothing else? or is feeding it everyday bad for it? help please
Where did you get a spade tail? I've been looking for one for a while!

I'm very new at this, but I've been feeding my betta one long plump blood worm(sometimes two if he's been extra good lol) a day along with an assortment of pellets, flakes, and sun-dried baby shrimp. (Not at once though, two to three times a day--small amounts).

I have noticed that the blood worms help him poop.

As I said, I'm no expert but I don't think bloodworms have enough nutrients to be the only food that a betta eats. Having a variety is always good. :]
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #3 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyy View Post
Where did you get a spade tail? I've been looking for one for a while!

I'm very new at this, but I've been feeding my betta one long plump blood worm(sometimes two if he's been extra good lol) a day along with an assortment of pellets, flakes, and sun-dried baby shrimp. (Not at once though, two to three times a day--small amounts).

I have noticed that the blood worms help him poop.

As I said, I'm no expert but I don't think bloodworms have enough nutrients to be the only food that a betta eats. Having a variety is always good. :]
I got varro from petsmart, he was looking a little sick and his fins were a bit rotted, i celt bad and i was drawn to him, so i bought him, nursed him and to my surprise he was a BEAUTIFUL spade tail, hes my favorite
Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #4 
AaryonN

Anyone else want to give me some input on weather i should feed him exclusively frozen blood worms or not? is there enough nutrients?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #5 
Posaune

I've been told bloodworms are ok :) Have some pellets on hand though, to mix it up. Betta's are like cats, they can be very finickey, tempermental and they can actually get sick of eating the same thing over and over. I wouldn't recommend freeze dried foods as they can cause them to bloat as they rehydrate in there bellies. The pellet food I use is New Life Spectrum Betta Formula from petco, and Little Guy loves them :) Maybe feed pellets three days a week, and bloodworms the other days. Something like that.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bloodworms should only be fed as a once or twice a week treat. They should be presoaked to prevent digestive problems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #7 
Posaune

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Bloodworms should only be fed as a once or twice a week treat. They should be presoaked to prevent digestive problems.
Pre-soaking is just for freeze dried, correct? Not frozen?
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #8 
Capricorn

A spade tail? I've heard those are super rare, do you have a picture? O:

And yes, pre-soaking for freeze-dried and pellets, frozen just needs to be thawed.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #9 
AaryonN

I'll get a pic asap, its sort of a mix between a delta and a spade tail :p its wierd, hah, tmmr im gonna go on my pc and post 1
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #10 
Adastra

It's a good idea to use a couple of different pellets as a staple and then supplement that with frozen foods like blood worms and brine shrimp. If you're in the market for a good pellet brand, I recommend OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets, Atison's Betta Pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, and New Life Spectrum.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote