Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #1 
swoozie13579

Question feeding my fish.

i got a fourm about betta when i first got my female betta and is says to feed them only 3 times a week. know i fell so bad for her i wouldent be able to feed her only 3 times a week so i feed her every outher day. the night i got her ( 2 days ago) i fed her. she must have not been used to that kind of food beacuse she would eat is then spit it out, eat it then spit it out. thats not my problem. that night i thank she was trying to eat the food at the bottom that i had fed her that day. i dont know if im sposed to feed her every day or not??? thanks for helping!!!
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #2 
DragonFish

...Yeah, that '3 times per week' is complete nonsense. They say that because "when you feed less, the fish produces less waste, and therefore you don't have to change that tiny little half gallon or less torture chamber they recommend as proper housing very often" :/ Which is even more complete and utter nonsense...

A Betta should be fed twice per day, 2-3 pellets per feeding. Since females tend to be a little smaller, probably two pellets per feeding should be just fine. To make it easier for her to eat, try soaking the pellets in a separate container with some tank water for about 15 minutes or so before feeding....I find that's the best way to go about feeding ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #3 
fleetfish

I feed mine five days a week, once in the evening and once in the morning. They will get mostly frozen (bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, glassworms, even cooked cocktail shrimp or chicken as a treat only) and live foods since they're carnivores, and a good quality staple pellet such as Omega One Betta Buffet, Attison's, Aqueon, or Ken's Betta Crumbles. They then fast for two days but before fasting I give them some thawed shelled pea to clear their systems out. Works like a charm :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 09-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #4 
swoozie13579

thx a bunch for helping. i feed her tetra o bettamin trpoical medley. its flakes so i dont soak it again thx for helping. also are you sposed to feed them a viriety of food?? i only feed her one kind.

Last edited by swoozie13579; 09-28-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #5 
fleetfish

Flakes aren't really the best, since they have a tendancy to foul up the water more. Pellets are usually better because they can float for a while and not disintegrate, and they have more protein in them.

Think of eating bean salad. Then think of eating bean salad every single meal of every single day. Wouldn't you want something else? I would! Yes, a variety of foods is wonderful for a betta because they can get a little tired of eating flakes every day.

Freeze dried bloodworms or brine shrimp are okay, but they don't have as much vitamins as frozen food would (also a lot more air in them, which causes bloating). So if you can find some frozen bloodworms, they would be very good for her. You can still feed her flakes, but supplimenting with something more nutritional will give her better health in the long run.

Last edited by fleetfish; 09-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 
swoozie13579

she did this the first day i got her and today. the only times i fed her since i got her. i put her food in there then she eats it then spits it out.i figure she not used to it but is it beacuse she just doesent plain like it?? ps i figure she was fed somthing diffrent thats why shes not used to it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #7 
fleetfish

It does take some time for a new betta to get used to a routine, new food, a new home. Be very patient with her. If she won't eat for a week it won't hurt her.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #8 
swoozie13579

cool!! thank you so much. i have one more questin. this morinig there was a lot of bubbles at the top of her tank. my friend told me that that means that the tank is dirty half of the time. but it isent. i heard thet if she makes them that means she is happy.

so heres my questin: witch one is it or what is it?? ( what does it mean)

Last edited by swoozie13579; 09-28-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Yup, you can still give her a bit of variety with the flakes, but you should have a good Pellet as a staple, as mentioned by fleetfish ;) You shouldn't feed frozen and such too often, unless you have a wide variety to mix it all up with regularly like fleetfish....about 1-3 times per week, supplementing one meal is fine if you get just one or two different frozen foods.
I also would suggest Daphnia instead of the pea....I've heard conflicting opinions about how peas aren't necessarily good for the bettas digestive system in the long run because they're carnivores....better safe then sorry IMO ;P

The bubbles really mean nothing for a female.....males blow bubblenests when they are ready to breed, as that is where they keep and care for their eggs. Females will occasionally make them, but its usually just a few scattered bubbles here and there, not a true bubblenest.

Last edited by DragonFish; 09-28-2010 at 03:31 PM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #10 
swoozie13579

thx for helping and yes is was a whole lot of bubbles skatterd across her whole cage 8in by 4in. up grading to 10 gallon asap.