Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

tumor/pine coning

Hello. I've been here before and asked about my betta with an unusual bulge on the side of his body. We concluded that he has a tumor and the best I can do is to keep taking good care of him. Other than that, there wasn't much I could do.

I'm surprised that he lasted as long as he did, because he's had that tumor for several months. I was starting to think he'll be fine. Then he got very skinny and his fins were clamped. This lasted a few months as well.

I just looked at him and noticed that his scales are standing up. I didn't notice it yesterday or today but I didn't turn the light on so maybe I missed it. I'm guessing it's getting close to the end. What should I do now? He's in a 3 gallon tank. Should I move him to a smaller container so he can get to the surface a little easier? Any advice will help. He's my first betta :(
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #2 
Ajones108

Definitely lower the water level so he can surface easier. But unfortunately at this point there is nothing else you can do. :(. It happens. Just make things easier for the little guy.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #3 
bluebettafish

Thanks for your reply...it's been really heartbreaking watching him the last several months. He's actually been with me for over a year now.

After I posted this, I realized that he floats at the top anyway...but I will lower the water so he can sleep at the bottom and come up easily when he has to.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #4 
Ajones108

Poor guy is hanging in there.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #5 
Adastra

It might be helpful to float a few things on the surface of the tank. It will help him feel more secure if he can get under something. You can use a leaf from a silk plant, a piece of styrofoam, bubblewrap, or cut out the center of a paper plate.

Have you considered putting him down? There is a product called clove oil a.k.a. eugenol that you can find in the dental care section of your pharmacy or GNC that is essentially an anesthetic. Depending on the concentration of the clove oil that you find, you can look up dosing instructions for anesthetizing, and then overdosing your fish so that he passes on after he's lost consciousness.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-21-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #6 
AaryonN

Another way you can euthonize him is by getting a glass of clear liquor, NOT ALL LIQUOR, but put some water in it too, get it to the right temperature, and when your ready you can put him in, and by his 2nd-5th breath, he'll be gone, from what i've heard it can't feel it at all, its just like he's falling asleep
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear about your fish. :(

You have to decide whether it's suffering and then make the decision. I use the clove oil and vodka method.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #8 
bluebettafish

Hi everyone

For some reason I wasn't notified of some of your replies so I didn't read about putting him down. He passed away this morning. Quite peacefully, actually. He was just at the bottom like he's chillin'. He stopped eating two days ago so that was a sign for me. Throughout his battle he ate like a champion so I knew it was coming :(. My only regret is that he might have survived a little longer if the temperature here in LA didn't get so crazy in the last couple of days (over 100F!!). With his condition he couldn't withstand the big temperature change. I'm trying to save the other one from being cooked!!

Thank you all for your advice. Being prepared definitely made it easier. I will remember about the euthanasia methods if I ever have a betta that's suffering.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #9 
Ajones108

So sorry for your loss. :(
Do you not have central air conditioning?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #10 
bluebettafish

No not central air. I'm not sure about keeping the AC on all day while I'm at work but I might have to because the water was 90F!! I wonder if it's really the water temperature because the sticker thermometer is saying 86 right now and the regular one inside is saying 88. In either case way too hot for a betta.