Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #1 
KenzieSK

Home-made betta log

I really like the betta logs sold in stores but 10 bucks for a floating hunk of plastic???? there has to be something i can do homemade for way cheaper or even free! ive been racking my brain for ideas but alas i cant come up with anything.
anyone have any ideas??
KenzieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #2 
BlueHaven

Oo, pick me! xD

I just made two coconut caves for each of my bettas and they look awesome. They are real coconuts, and they only cost 2.00 (or 2.30) to get one. You can just break it in half and sand down the edges after rinsing it off and taking off the white part, wich is surprisingly easy if you let it sit out a while. It's very smooth onces you sand it down so it's safe. You might want to soak it first before adding it to the tank and pick off the extra furry looking things on the top of the coconut, and sand that part down a little. That will smooth out the fuzzies.

It does not float, but it is a cool looking cave!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #3 
KenzieSK

do they use it often? i think i have an extra coconut hut from my hermit crabs... i never even thought to put it in my aquarium!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #4 
BlueHaven

Yes. I haven't seen one of mine go inside it yet, but my other one goes in it frequently. But the one that I haven't seen inside theres is a bit slow to warm up, he might have gone inside when I wasn't looking. :)
Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #5 
KenzieSK

im thinking my shrimp will just claim the hut for themselves. they love things like that. im hoping i can come up with something that floats. i was thinking of maybe a pipe suction cupped to the side of the tank at the same height a log would float.....
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

I just put some floating plants in for my guys - they LOVE to swim through them & even lay in them. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #7 
BlueHaven

Oo, floating plants are nice!

Haha, yea cause shrimp like to hide that would be good for them!
When I had shrimp, one of mine would hide underneath the filter (underwater filter). It was kinda like a cave. Actually one of the guys used it to sneak up on the other one. lol
But that's not really on topic......
I don't really know of what else you could use, maybe you could try finding drift would that's big enough to have a hole in it? That might be hard though.
I did see someone her post a picture of there bettas home with a big piece of drift wood like that.
Plants would be easier to obtain though.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #8 
CjRager89

When I had my turtle tank, I made him a floating island. I carved a piece of styrofoam to the shape I wanted, then just covered it in a thin layer of grout. Worked and looked amazing. Right now im actually using the same process to make a realistic looking background for my 2.5 gal.
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #9 
bloo97

You can put styrafoam in a fish tank?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #10 
CjRager89

Well it is styrofoam, but its covered with grout/concrete...which is fine to put in a tank
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote