Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #1 
sandystar

Very concerened, missing fin.

So I have a ten gallon sorority and I went out of state for two weeks. When I came home I did a full water change and gravel cleaning, but one of my girls got dropsy. I immediately took her out of the tank when I noticed the behavior change, and after a week she passed on. Which was the best thing for her, since she was getting very bad... bloated, scales extended, lethargic, lack of appetite and missing/ falling off scales to where an open wound formed. But this isn't about her... The day she died I noticed the runt of my thank didn't come up to feed.
Kasey my little girl in the sorority is missing a side fin. Like its clearly gone... within a night. I know none of the others contracted dropsy, and no one else has fin rot. Nox was the alpha so I'm pretty sure in re establishing an alpha someone tore it off, what I am worried about is will it grow back! I moved her into a 1.5 gallon by herself and am treating her with api aquarium salt. She lost her stress stripes, has lovely color again. She even ate a blood worm last night.

sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #2 
CodeRed

Unfortunately, I don't think pectoral fins grow back... or is this about her ventral fins? Just do a quick search for Betta anatomy in google images and tell us which she's missing. It's bad for a betta to be missing their pectorals, but a ventral fin isn't quite so dire.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 
sandystar

It would be her pectoral...
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 
CodeRed

What side is she missing it on? Because in the second picture it looks like it's still there.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #5 
sandystar

In the second photo you are seeing her remaining fin. Photo one is a direct side shot of the side with the missing fin. when she swims around the nub moves too. Photo two is her remaining fin on the right her left. Same with photo three but her fin is nearly clear so it blended with her body. She wont let me take a photo of her fin side like I was able to with the missing side.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #6 
CodeRed

Well, pectorals are pretty much how most bettas swim, so I'll going to say she should stay out of the sorority from now on, otherwise she'll be picked on to death. I don't think they regrow, so she's probably not going to be able to go back in. I'm sorry this happened, but at least you noticed it before something happened to her. Might want to lower the water level, too, to make swimming up for air easier on her.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #7 
BlueHaven

Aww, poor little girlie. I don't know about it growing back, but i'm sure it would help her feel better and be okay about it if she gets high quality food/treats like mosquito larvae?
You could try getting indian almond leaves too, that helps them heal and helps there health some.
That's good she's already acting better and i'm sorry about your other fish that died.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #8 
sandystar

Thanks and I will look for some treats for her and lower her water level some. I think she is happier alone, poor girl.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #9 
Lilpeanut

My double tail got stuck in a homemade separator (my bad!), and got more than half his left pectoral fin torn off when I was finally able to get him out. He also got a bit of skin and a few scales (probably a little flesh too) scraped off the top of his back, right in front of his dorsal fin. His lower caudal fin was split all the way up to his body. My VERY LARGE crown tail also "got a piece of him" when he was stuck. :(

I put him in a new tank with new gravel, a plant and filter. He was doing great the first few days, but then got fin rot. I did not properly cycle his new tank. :(
He didn't come up to eat for a few days and was hiding behind a seashell I had in his tank. When I finally caught it and took him out, he was literally falling apart in my hand. The anal fin and top caudal fin were almost completely gone. I thought I was going to lose him. I quickly gave him a one-minute salt bath, very heavy salt, about 2 tsp per cup. He perked up almost immediately after the salt bath! It was like a miracle. Poor guy has been through a lot! He's a survivor and is now very healthy and VERY active. His fins are still growing back.

Aaaaanyway, long story to a short answer: You'll be happy to know that his pectoral fin did actually grow back fully! :D

Separate your betta from the others and put her in a tank/bowl with clean dechlorinated water with a bit of aquarium salt. You don't want the others to pick on her if she's injured. If she is in a 1 gal. bowl, add 4 drops of MelaFix to her bowl (or follow per instructions based on tank size) every day for a week. Then do a 100% water change. The MelaFix will help the fin grow back and help fight infection. You could repeat this treatment. I repeated this treatment for my guy for about a month.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lilpeanut; 09-21-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Lilpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #10 
sandystar

OMG! So just made my day!!!!

She is in a separate tank, that has been fully cleaned and is already cycled with new carbon is the filter. I normally have a different girl in there but she has been moved into the sorority. But anywhom, I will have to go out and get the melafix, but I already put api aquarium salt in there. EEEE going to try and get to the petstore before work!