Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #1 
JulesKD

Betta suddenly skinny, though eating - HELP!

Hello all! I'm new here and I have an emergency. In the last few days, my beautiful betta Leon has gotten extremely thin. He still eats like a horse and is active - though he does float on his side when he stops moving.

Here's the big picture. A few weeks ago he started side-floating and I panicked and did my research. Most web pages said I was overfeeding him and it was swim bladder problems caused by constipation. (I gave him and the other fish a bit of food, twice a day.) So I cut them all back and fed him a pea. This seemed to do the trick for a day, then he was side-floating again.

I've had Leon since last Spring. I don't know how old he is. He is in a very warm (80+) 10 gallon tank with three mollies. They all get along very well. I change about 10-20% of the water weekly and I test it frequently. The only problem it's had is nitrates a bit high once in a while. Ammonia, nitrites, chlorine, etc. these are all fine. I use only filtered drinking water, treated with Aqua Plus, and I add some salt too.

I feed Leon and the others frozen fish foods, thawed. Like Formula Two, Emerald Entree, brine shrimp. I don't use flakes with wheat gluten and ethoxyquin. Once I did give them blood worms but that seemed to be when the side-floating started.

Now, Leon side-floats whenever he stops swimming. He is still very active and he still eats every time I feed him.

But I can make out every tiny bone in his spine.

What am I doing wrong? Leon is the jewel of the tank and my lovely friend. It'd crush me to lose him.

Thanks, everyone,

Jules
JulesKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #2 
Capricorn

I'm not certain, this isn't my area of expertise, but maybe he has a parasite? Can you describe what his poop looks like, maybe? That's usually a good indicator. If you're feeding him and you know that he's getting the food (like, his tankmates aren't getting it), that would be my next guess.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 
JulesKD

Hmm, good point. it looks like the poop of the rest of the fish. But keep in mind, I haven't had fish in a long time so I don't know if that's "right" or if maybe they all have a parasite?

Anyway, it's just a long, pale string that eventually breaks off. I switch the food around a lot so sometimes it's darker, sometimes lighter.

Does that sound about right?
JulesKD is offline   Reply With Quote