Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #1 
shell85

I rescued another little guy :D

Ok so I just returned from Walmart I had to go there cause I was picking up something I had shipped over there while in there I went and looked at their pitiful selection of fish and I noticed the same bettas that I've seen a few weeks ago were still there in their little rotten cups... and walmart hast the crappiest cups ever they don't even have them sealed up tightly so the water doesn't spill out. but anyway I acted on impulse and picked up one I didn't want him spending the rest of his life in there. To my surprise though he has the longest tail and he doesn't have fin clamp but i think he has a little tail rot going on now that i look closer.

Right now I got him in a small 1 gallon critter keeper without anything it it but gravel I wanted to get a bigger one but they didn't have any so I gotta order one online. He'll be ok for a few days in a 1 gallon right?

Oh and also since this one would probably won't be in a tank, how often should I be doing water changes?
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

For a gallon a once a week changes would be fine for a healthy betta. For yours go with one every other day.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #3 
shell85

olk i went and ordered an extra large kritter keeper so that shout be around about 3.5 gallons for him so since its not a filtered tank i'd have to do 100% changes about 2 times per week?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #4 
Adastra

I would do every other day in the one gallon--he likely has some ammonia burns from that nasty water. If you happen to have any pure methylene blue lying around, that can be quite helpful for ammonia poisoning.

In the 3.5 you could probably get away with one 50% and one 100% change per week. You should consider getting a small sponge filter--they're extremely cheap and have a very weak current which makes them perfect for bettas. This way you can cycle the tank.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #5 
shell85

ok it seems as though i'm dealing with a finicky eater? i've tried giving him pellets he would nibble at it then spit it back out and not touch it. sharp contrast from Neptune who started eating as soon as I first got him...

I checked him out today and it looks like he has bumps where his pectoral fins are I dont know if thats normal or not but it is under both so I think its natural for him? He's very tiny.

@ adastra i'll look for one
Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #6 
shell85

D'oh! So I got his new kritter Keeper today and I was expecting it to be around 3-3.5 gallons and this thing is about the size of a 5 gallon!I don't even know what to do with it, its so big and I have such a little space right now. I don't know if I should return it or not cause he could use the space...

I saw these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622 and wondered if I should just be getting that since it has the filter and stuff already included.

Last edited by shell85; 09-25-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Don't know if you should return it or not, but I LOVE that 5.5 gal. Nu-Wave tank!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #8 
shell85

Yeah I'm still debating it cause the little guy could really use the space and a heater right now as in right this minute and I don't wanna keep him in this little container right now which I know he's probably cold in. Plus with this model I can buy an under gravel filter instead of having to worry about buying parts and setting up one. I do have space on my laptop cart for now but I dunno if it would be good for him considering all the heat and light coming from the computer and it also has wheels so I don't think he would like the motion.. but I guess he can stay there for a week or so until I buy another end table, I'm in a bedroom.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #9 
Kitty Whiskers

Hmmm I sure do like that Ebay tank. Seems good to me :) But it didn't say a heater was included so you should get one to go with it if you buy that tank. Of course 5 gallons of the other kritter kepper is great but if you don't have the room the ebay one will be fine.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #10 
shell85

*sigh* ok i set it up because i think its overall cheaper if I use this instead of buying the tank off of ebay, I already have the gravel and the kritter keeper was less than $20 only thing I have to buy now is the under gravel filter and some lighting which i have a question about, what do you use for aquarium lighting in kritter keepers?

Right now I have it set up on a styrofoam box in a corner near my bed until I get another night stand to hold it on.