Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 
allikins

REALLY dusty gravel o.O

So, I finally filled my tank and was adjusting the gravel in it when I noticed that lots and lots of... dust? was coming up as I was doing this. I thought I rinsed the gravel really well, the water ran pretty clear but I guess not!
Will my filter be able to take care of the extra dust in the water or will I have to dump the water out and rescrub?

Still no betta! :[
allikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #2 
surfnchk

Did you use hot water when you washed the gravel? I had the same problem when I first set up my tank and thought what could it be? Turns out I didn't wash it as good as I could. There's just a few questions I have.

- what kind of filter are you running on your tank?
- did you add any dechlorinator such as stress coat + and/or add stress zyme?

Depending on how long you have been letting your tank set, due to cycling there can be a "bacteria bloom" which can cause your water to look cloudy.

For the dust problem....I used API accu-clear and read the dosaging on the back of the bottle. Do that before you go to bed and then use a gravel vaccum to get it all up the next morning. What it does is clump all those dust particles together so you can easily vaccum it ot. It worked wonders for my tank. Heads up, do NOT use accu clear for other than dust particles. Hope this helps and works! :)
surfnchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #3 
allikins

Well, I ended up dumping out the majority of the water anyway 'cause I wanted to move the tank. xD
I stirred up the gravel to see if any dust would come off and it didn't from what I could see.

But I have a tetra whisper interal power filer for 2-10 gallon tanks. And I did all dechlorinator. My tank also wasn't running. D: No fishies yet and just hooked everything up today with some cocktail shrimps in it to cycle. The water's lookin' pretty clear.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #4 
surfnchk

I thought my water was running clear and I used hot water. I ended up using the accu-clear and it worked wonders but hey if this works go for it! If not try the accu clear and some water changes.
surfnchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #5 
allikins

I'll bookmark this. :]