Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #11 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEE FISH View Post
Hi all... Has any one used those betta bulp plant seeds packages that they sell at the pet store...
Yep, for the price you can't go wrong. Was something like 3 bucks for a package of 3 bulbs at my local petsmart. Took about 30 days for them to sprout.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #12 
Jayy

I Bought the ones at Wal-mart and only the water lily sprouted. I still want to try them again.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I have had a 50/50 success with the bulb that I got at walmart 4-5 years ago-I still have the lily and they are still growing fine, I frequently cut the roots and plant away from the bulb and plant so the bulb will make a new plant. I also have several that will get buds on them but not grow more than that-they don't rot just don't grow either-the bulbs make a nice looking plant overall and I love the lily pad on top of the water-I have both the green type and the red type.

I got the apon corms and they grew fairly well and I was able to propagate them the same as the lily bulbs-they are a bit more sensitive to changes than the lily and tend to melt with too big of a water change or moving them around..but they will flower for you too in the right location-mine liked my tank that get sun and responded well...neither like to be planted- but I do kinda cram the bottom of the bulb in the substrate a tiny bit to keep them in place once they sprout-otherwise I just drop them in and let them sink to the bottom-if they float I give them a day or so to sink and if not I put them in a shallow dish of water in the window-half rot and half sprout

I have had some that did rot in the tank and I had to toss them-I have maybe 8 lily plants left that are still going strong from 3 bulbs I started with that sprouted and that I propagated-all the apons melted last year and have not sprouted again so I guess they are dead......lol.....or I can't see them through all the other plants in the tank....my tanks are massively planted.....

Here is a pic of a lily pad on top of the water-you can't see this in the pic but it has red dots on the leaf and the leaf under water at the bulb are red
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #14 
NEWBEE FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
Any luck with the bulbs? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, just curious if it worked for you at all.

Yes 3 out of 5 i had have sprouted and growing... i kept them in separate cup and threw them in my tank when they sprouted and had some leaves..
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #15 
zelilaa

I've had some experience with them! The white stuff, if it looks fluffy, is bad. If its a stick like thing that looks liek string, its the roots. Thats obviously good :3 I had soem in my 2.5 gal tank, and 2 out of 3 sprouted and filled up THE WHOLE almost empty tank!! It was incredible. It grew inches over night once it started to get going. It will grow towards the light, and eventually, will stick out of the water line. I accidently killed mine by washing them with tap water before I got to see how far out they would grow. But please get these- they are amazing.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #16 
bettabreeder123
Banned

stuff on one of my gaint plant bulbs is growing and infesting rocks in my tank
bettabreeder123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #17 
nomoretickets

these things grow just fine. dont worry if they get the white halo around them, just let it go. Some of mine had that and they are sprouting just fine. wait a month and if it hasnt sprouted by then, take it out send it in and get a new one from the company. They will sprout just give it time, and dont pull it out if it gets a white furry halo to it, that is normal.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #18 
wallywestisthebest333

edited. Ignore my random mood swing of doom. XD

If you decide to grow bulbs get a vase and grow them submerged in that. The white fuzzy halo is mold my friend and it's bad for your fish. That's why I hate the darn things. The fiasco that has caused the loss of my 5 gallon stemmed from mold problems from a bad bulb in summer and bleaching my tank when I should have used vinegar. If I'd just tried to grow it in my 1 gallon pickle jar I wouldn't have had to worry about it and I'd have had a cycled tank by now.

If you get it that's great! =] Just don't grow it in your tank. Grow it in a jar or vase near a window first then when it starts to sprout and looks like it's doing well transfer it to your tank. =]

That's my advice. =] Take it or leave it though. :P

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 11-07-2010 at 12:15 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #19 
JD3P

Sounds good! I'm going to get some bulbs tomorrow and do exactly that. If they ever do grow maybe I'll post some pics up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
edited. Ignore my random mood swing of doom. XD

If you decide to grow bulbs get a vase and grow them submerged in that. The white fuzzy halo is mold my friend and it's bad for your fish. That's why I hate the darn things. The fiasco that has caused the loss of my 5 gallon stemmed from mold problems from a bad bulb in summer and bleaching my tank when I should have used vinegar. If I'd just tried to grow it in my 1 gallon pickle jar I wouldn't have had to worry about it and I'd have had a cycled tank by now.

If you get it that's great! =] Just don't grow it in your tank. Grow it in a jar or vase near a window first then when it starts to sprout and looks like it's doing well transfer it to your tank. =]

That's my advice. =] Take it or leave it though. :P
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #20 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
Sounds good! I'm going to get some bulbs tomorrow and do exactly that. If they ever do grow maybe I'll post some pics up.
Lol Awesome! =] Glad you're avoiding my mistake! XD Have fun with it and no pressure or anything but BUY A LILLY!!!!! <3 They're actually lotuses and they make pretty flowers after a while! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote