Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #1 
cballas

What kind/Where did you buy a micro tank heater?

Which brand do you use for your 5G or under? Where did you find it?
Do they have like, underwater heating stones/decorations maybe? That would be sweet.
The acrylic holds heat pretty well, I just want to be prepared for when it gets cooler outside.
Or I could wrap the tank in a fuzzy robe.

Thanks
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #2 
ashleyy

i got a 25-watt Marineland heater for my 2.5 gallon critter keeper. I got it at my local aquarium store for 30 dollars.

It works really well, and it's adjustable so you can set it to a certain temperature and it will maintain that temp. :]

I did have a Hydor Mini, but it fluctuated in temp. too much. I think all it does it raise the temp. 5 degrees. so when the temp. dropped here it went from 80 to 75 and wouldn't raise any higher than that :/
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #3 
Adastra

I use this heater: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368 and purchased it through that site. I go to Foster and Smith Aquatics for all my purchases since their prices are usually $10 or more off of the price at the pet store, and shipping is a very reasonable $8.99 flat rate, so if you buy multiple items at once, you can save a ton.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #4 
cballas

Oh dangit....I just now bought a Hydor Mini pad on the recommendation from the Betta Care sticky thread. The room temp here (Florida) is usually 75 at night & 78 during the day if anyone is here,
otherwise 80 if no one is here. He'll be Ok till I get the the heater right? About 5-7 days? I can leave the light on longer...
I like Foster&Smith though, great prices & sales. :)
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #5 
Adastra

Just return the pad when you can, adjustable heaters really are much better. A new sticky was recently created that's more up to date, but for some reason they never deleted the original one. :/
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use a Marineland Stealth visitherm in one of my 2.5 gallons.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #7 
ashleyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cballas View Post
Oh dangit....I just now bought a Hydor Mini pad on the recommendation from the Betta Care sticky thread. The room temp here (Florida) is usually 75 at night & 78 during the day if anyone is here,
otherwise 80 if no one is here. He'll be Ok till I get the the heater right? About 5-7 days? I can leave the light on longer...
I like Foster&Smith though, great prices & sales. :)
I think since you live in Florida that the hydor mini will be fine.

I was just disappointed in it but it went from 85 to 65 over night and I was up late enough to see that it wasn't keeping the tank as consistent as I thought it would.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #8 
Jupiter

I used the pre-set submersible Tetra heaters from Walmart for my smaller tanks. They work pretty well in 3 gallons or less.

In my bigger tanks (5 and 10 gallon), I use a Marineland Stealth heater, and it works really well. I have it set at 82 degrees, which keeps it at 79...

But at nights I throw a towel over the top of my aquarium, since it doesn't have a hood and I want to keep the window open for the nice fall wind. It usually helps to retain the heat inside the tank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #9 
Ajones108

Woah woah woah. Okay guys. Time to clarify this for both Floridians and non-Floridians.

Just because we live in Florida doesn't mean it's hot. On average, from what I have noticed, home temperature stays at around 72-78 degrees during the summer. The water in your tank will be a few degrees colder than room temperature regardless of how hot (or cold) it is outside.

Whether you live in Florida or not, a good heater is essential. Some bettas aren't as tolerant of fluctuating temperatures even if it IS only a couple degrees. Once winter hits in Florida (blistering cold, imagine breathing ice instead of water) then your tank could really DROP a few degrees.

So whether you live in Florida, or you don't live in Florida, whether you're in Florida or not, you need a stable, adjustable heater on your tank. >_> Especially if your betta gets sick and you find the need to bump up the temp a few degrees to help metabolism. Or your betta gets too cold from "room-temperature" water and gets lethargic, stops eating, and dies.

Just clearing up that misconception.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote