Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #1 
BettaSiouan

I need some help!!

Ok..so, here goes. For a year-last week made it one whole year- I have had an amazing blue/red/purple betta named Mini Cooper. He is quite possibly the MOST amazing fish, ever. Personality, fun, VERY energetic...and then, he kinda wasn't. :(

Like an idiot, I had him in 1.5 gallon with no filtration and no heater. I am a dedicated mommy though, so no less than once a week I gave him full, treated, water changes. I even let the water sit for a few hours to mimic what he was in previously. He usually ate what I fed him all at once and in the rare case he didn't I always scooped leftovers out. Come to find out I was -what I like to call spoiling- overfeeding him.. :(:(:( He seemed to love the food and I really thought he was just greedy. Anyway, a few weeks ago, about a month now, I realized he was swimming rather erratically. He seemed to be gasping for air and just basically sinking to the bottom of the tank. I pretty much diagnosed it as SDB and treated it lightly. I went with the epsom salt bath because he's a pretty picky eater, but it didn't work. FINALLY, after close to 3 days of fasting he ate some pea and pooped!! :) However, he's still swimming erratically. Understand my frustrations? Ok..so, I stopped feeding him so much, about two pellets a day and fasting a day a week. I will be incorporating the pea more into his diet, too.

I have looked all over his body for signs of ich, inflamed gills, popeye, and everything else. The strange thing is the only REAL symptom of SBD was his constipation. AND I know he was constipated because he didn't go for almost a week. He goes quite regular now, but I am still worried with his swimming. I read that if his poop was stringy it could be internal parasites, but I really don't think he is sick. The ONLY strange thing I notice is a bit of a hump on his side close to his back fin- this is the culprit I believe..kidney maybe?

SOOOOOOO, today I put him in a treated cycled tank-5 gallons- and I got a heater!!! and I am hoping that will make things a little better. My big question is..is there any other way to tell if it's internal parasites? I'm pretty sure his poop isn't stringy..at least when I see it..it's just round like it used to be. Not as much, but it's there. Do I need to give him more fiber? Do I need to get fluid from his kidneys? OMGosh..someone please help? I know they say they don't feel it, but I think Mini does. I love him so much. He has really been my baby for a little over a year and I refuse to just give up or let him continually suffer. ANY advice is welcomed and accepted. Thanks in advance...hope someone can help.
BettaSiouan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #2 
BettaSiouan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaSiouan View Post
Ok..so, here goes. For a year-last week made it one whole year- I have had an amazing blue/red/purple betta named Mini Cooper. He is quite possibly the MOST amazing fish, ever. Personality, fun, VERY energetic...and then, he kinda wasn't. :(

Like an idiot, I had him in 1.5 gallon with no filtration and no heater. I am a dedicated mommy though, so no less than once a week I gave him full, treated, water changes. I even let the water sit for a few hours to mimic what he was in previously. He usually ate what I fed him all at once and in the rare case he didn't I always scooped leftovers out. Come to find out I was -what I like to call spoiling- overfeeding him.. :(:(:( He seemed to love the food and I really thought he was just greedy. Anyway, a few weeks ago, about a month now, I realized he was swimming rather erratically. He seemed to be gasping for air and just basically sinking to the bottom of the tank. I pretty much diagnosed it as SDB and treated it lightly. I went with the epsom salt bath because he's a pretty picky eater, but it didn't work. FINALLY, after close to 3 days of fasting he ate some pea and pooped!! :) However, he's still swimming erratically. Understand my frustrations? Ok..so, I stopped feeding him so much, about two pellets a day and fasting a day a week. I will be incorporating the pea more into his diet, too.

I have looked all over his body for signs of ich, inflamed gills, popeye, and everything else. The strange thing is the only REAL symptom of SBD was his constipation. AND I know he was constipated because he didn't go for almost a week. He goes quite regular now, but I am still worried with his swimming. I read that if his poop was stringy it could be internal parasites, but I really don't think he is sick. The ONLY strange thing I notice is a bit of a hump on his side close to his back fin- this is the culprit I believe..kidney maybe?

SOOOOOOO, today I put him in a treated cycled tank-5 gallons- and I got a heater!!! and I am hoping that will make things a little better. My big question is..is there any other way to tell if it's internal parasites? I'm pretty sure his poop isn't stringy..at least when I see it..it's just round like it used to be. Not as much, but it's there. Do I need to give him more fiber? Do I need to get fluid from his kidneys? OMGosh..someone please help? I know they say they don't feel it, but I think Mini does. I love him so much. He has really been my baby for a little over a year and I refuse to just give up or let him continually suffer. ANY advice is welcomed and accepted. Thanks in advance...hope someone can help.

I forgot to include this: Will medicating a fish hurt them if they're not like sick, sick? I have Jungle Fungus Clear and I want to know it's safe before I use it..?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #3 
naturegirl243

I am not much of a help with your questions, but I have heard good and bad things about peas the good obiously that your fish will poop but the bad being thats it's bad for them since they are meat eaters it messes with them since there idk what organ lol is not used to that much fiber.I would not do the pea thing daily and yeah I am very bad at explaining things what I have seen sounded way better then what I just said.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #4 
karlhague

Betta's Intestinal organs Are not designed for Eating Vegetable matter..

Using the Pea Long Term could cause him significant Damage, Vegetables, vegetable flakes/pellets, are all quite difficult for the Betta To digest...

Try using frozen/live freeze Dried Daphnia, It Worked Wonders when My Betta Solar got Constipated..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes when a Betta gets constipated it can cause the duct to become inflamed/infected, sometimes it can be a deformed swim bladder from growth and development stage that often clears up only to return as the Betta matures. Usually they can live a happy life but you can treat the symptom
I use Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes for 10days while in QT...not epsom salt bath, but a epsom salt treatment and the Betta stays in this epsom salt water 24/7 for 10 days
This is why I like to pre-mix the salt in a 1g jug-this make dosage and water changes easier.

The lump at the base of his tail may be the caudal peduncle and normal part of the anatomy.

The digestive tract in meat eating fish are shorter than veggie eating fish-usually veggies will not hurt the meat eating fish per se....it is more an absorption issues with food items...even meat eaters eat veggies in the wild but in a different form....they eat the veggie eaters....you are what you eat....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #6 
BettaSiouan

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. :)

He seems to be doing a little better in the 5gal. He kinda flops around once in a while, but he seems happier, which is a good thing. He's snagging some flake food, which is funny because he usually sticks to pellets. Let you know if anything changes. AND again, thanks for the replies.