Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #1 
Eolith

Unhappy His tail is GONE!

Finn, my flowiest, fullest, prettiest finned boy doesn't have a tail any more!

I'm completely dumbfounded. Yesterday he was whole and gorgeous, this morning there's only a few tendrils of his tail left. Most of it is practically gone from the base out. It seems like if he'd lost that huge a chunk, I would be able to see it somewhere too... but nothing. I have no idea what happened, he's been in that tank for months without any changes to decor etc.

Should I treat his tank with anything to prevent infection? How long will it take him to grow out his fins again? Will they ever be the same again?
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #2 
Adastra

Is he a VT? In my experience, VTs recover from fin damage very well--probably because they have two solid rays without a bunch of less substantial branches which can grow in ruffled. If he's a HM, don't expect perfection.

He should be fine--just keep the water extra clean. You can use salt for a few days to stimulate healing, but the main deterrent of infection is clean water. Warm temperatures and a high protein diet will help boost his metabolism and give him the nutrients he needs to build more fin tissue.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #3 
Eolith

Thanks for the tips. He's a DT.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith View Post
Thanks for the tips. He's a DT.
Sounds like he has been biting his own tail to be honest....

Some bettas are neurotic that way it can be a sign of stress, poor water quality and boredom
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #5 
Eolith

I'm not sure how he could bite his whole tail off down to the base in one night and leave a few tendrils behind. It was a HUGE tail... that would be a ton of little betta bites to accomplish.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #6 
Adastra

They can and will reach that far if they're motivated. If you don't see any fin pieces conspicuously left on sharp objects in the tank there's really no other conclusion. If I may quote Leonard Nimoy, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #7 
Eolith

Well... I'm still inclined to deny that theory. As I said, it was completely gone and appeared to have been a very sharp clean tear. I've had tail biters in the past and they knaw it down and leave it ragged, nor do they reach all the way down to their literal flesh. Not to mention that tail biters will typically do a little trimming of their dorsal and anal fins while doing their tail... and his other fins are fine.

What was left of his tail may be in there somewhere, but there are lots of plants, a filter and a few other critters in the tank.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #8 
Alex09

Quote:
Well... I'm still inclined to deny that theory. As I said, it was completely gone and appeared to have been a very sharp clean tear. I've had tail biters in the past and they knaw it down and leave it ragged, nor do they reach all the way down to their literal flesh. Not to mention that tail biters will typically do a little trimming of their dorsal and anal fins while doing their tail... and his other fins are fine.

What was left of his tail may be in there somewhere, but there are lots of plants, a filter and a few other critters in the tank.
Pics or it didn't happen. Lol
but really, a pic may help…
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

How close to his body is the cut? I've known a female that ended up with a similar straight line missing block of like all her tail.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #10 
Adastra

Quote:

If it's a clean cut, you're probably right--biting looks anything but clean. Check the filter, if you have one. The tail bits would naturally be collected by the filter if they were left to float around.