Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #11 
Jupiter

Poor guy...clean water + salt will help him. Don't use bettafix or anything of those sorts...

What are his tankmates?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #12 
Eolith

As I stated earlier, his tail was literally gone. A pretty sharp cut from the base of his tail and only two long thin tendrils.

His tankmates were two oto catfish. I've put him in a separate tank now... but he appears stressed (somewhat pale, showing stress "stripes" on his head). I'm not sure what else to do for him. How frequently and how much water should I change if he's in a cycled 5g?

I've been putting 1/4 tsp of salt in the water... should I increase it?
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #13 
Ajones108

if you've been constantly putting 1/4 tsp of salt in the water since you got him this isn't 100% ideal since it could make salt treatments later ineffective at lower doses and it can also put strain on their organs.

If you're treating him for a torn tail and he's normally in a 5 gallon cycled, I personally recommend a rubbermaid 2-3 gallon QT tank that you can put a 25W heater in. You'll be doing almost daily water changes with 1tsp/gallon AQ salt for 10 days, but no longer. Also a high-protein diet helps. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #14 
Jupiter

Aquarium salt should be 1 tsp/gallon or 1 tbsp/5 gallons.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #15 
Eolith

Thank you for the clarification!
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #16 
Arowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
They can and will reach that far if they're motivated. If you don't see any fin pieces conspicuously left on sharp objects in the tank there's really no other conclusion. If I may quote Leonard Nimoy, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
I have to clarify this... Nimoy was not the first to say this, Sherlock Holmes was :)
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote