Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #1 
GERGixxer

Smile Meet EUGENE - (need advice!)

I got him (Eugene) from PetSmart about 3 weeks ago.
It's my first fish ever so I didn't know what to expect really.

He is living in a 6G Fluval Edge Tank. Cycled for two weeks before putting him in (doing regular water changes to ensure no ammonia poisoning) his new home. I got a 15W Hydor Mini Heater but with it turned on the tank gets up to 86F so I keep it room temperature at the moment which keeps the tank at 78-80F.

I tried to make the tank a little interesting to him with live plants and a cave.

He seemed sick when I got him, he was darting like crazy, especially right into the gravel (in his 2.5G hospital tank I put him in before entering the new tank). I treated him against parasites and it seemed to work, no more crazy darting.

He eats well but still after 1 week behaves weird in my opionion.
It doesn't really look like flaring because I tested that with a mirror but he is surfing the glass constantly! He spends at least 80% of the day and night doing the same thing. At daytime usually at the front glass, at night usually on the side. He only stops doing it for a couple of minutes sometimes or to get air.

WATCH HIS BEHAVIOR

Now, I would love him to be happy but to me Eugene seems very stressed, neurotic.

Any thoughts or comments on his behavior and/or living environment are very welcome....

FACTS:
Fluval Edge 6G tank
Filtered
Room temp. 78-80F / Heated 86F
Tetra Whisper Air Bubbler low level (timed from 9am - 10:30pm)
LED Lighting (timed from 9am - 10:30pm)
Tap-water conditioned with PRIME & Aquarium Salt
Eats TetraMin & Freeze-Dried Bloodworms

Thanks!
Pat

Last edited by GERGixxer; 09-23-2010 at 02:45 AM.
GERGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #2 
Duskdog

I know this doesn't help you, but I just wanted to say that you have an incredibly beautiful fish in an incredibly beautiful tank.

As to your problem... I'm not sure what to tell you. Longjohn acts exactly like that occasionally -- usually for a short while late in the evening when I've settled down for the evening at the computer and am close by. It's like he gets a sudden fit of hyperactivity, swimming back and forth just like Eugene in your video, and shaking occasionally. He's in a very similar setup to Eugene with live plants, similar lighting schedule, similar temp. etc.

But he only does it for a short time before "bedtime" -- maybe ten or fifteen minutes, then he settles down and usually goes to sleep afterwards. The rest of the day, he's an active but much less hyper fish.

Eugene does that all day long, pretty much? Hmm. Maybe he's just a really hyper fish? I don't have enough experience with other fish to say whether it could be normal or not, but it definitely seems weird. I hope someone else here can give you a better answer.
Duskdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

I can't help you with the problem with your fish, but I would like to suggest something regarding your very beautiful tank. IF that is live bamboo, the leave need to be out of the water - otherwise the plant will rot.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #4 
GERGixxer

Thanks for your comments so far. At least good to know that some other bettas seem to do that as well. I always feel like he is seeing himself but he flares and moves different when actually looking in a mirror.

Yes,it is live bamboo and although I sked about their water compatibility I think your right and it's starting to rot on top a little. I just ordered many Anubias plants that will replace the bamboo and fern.
GERGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #5 
blumunki87

Eugene is gorgeous!
blumunki87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #6 
KukaaKatchou

Sam did some swimming like that tonight - almost like he was trying to get my attention. The bugger got a pellet out of it too - but he had to take it from my semi scary finger (not so scary with an attached pellet!). I turned his light off and left the room for a bit so hopefully he'll meander through his plants for a while.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #7 
Jupiter

That is a gorgeous fish and a gorgeous tank...

The tank is at 86 degrees? I'm not sure to what temperature bettas can tolerate, but maybe he's a bit warm? 78-80 is the ideal temperature.

Also, as Lion Mom suggested, keep bamboo leaves out of the water.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #8 
peaches3221

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdog View Post
you have an incredibly beautiful fish in an incredibly beautiful tank.
agreed!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #9 
Capricorn

My Willo does that.. I think she's chasing her own reflection, though I'm not sure. xD

(beautiful tank!)
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

If it were me, I would go ahead and remove the bamboo now.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote