Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #1 
miyko

Question confuzed about wesson

so my new boy wasn't making a buble nest and i was starting to think he wasn't happy till i got sick over the weekend and had to leave all my boys and girls to go to my moms place for 4 days.... now this did upset me but seeing as they are all healthy i knew that they couldn't get into to much trouble with out their daily water changes..... ok so..... wesson normally gets a daily 100% water change because he is only in 1gallon tank un filtered the whole deal.... and so i thought omg 4 days this is going to be REALLY bad for him... yet i get home and there is a MASSIVE bubble nest.... covering the whole top and he is just going to town on this thing... every 5 mins he is making it bigger or something like ugh i know the rummor is false about bettas loving unclean water but.... it really makes me think i did take a sponge and clean all the poop and such out of his tank today and also only did a 50% cause i didn't want to kill his nest... should i just do 50% every day insetad of 100%? i know its not ideal living condidtions for him but i've never seen him acting so happy he doesn't seem bored or sick or any thing i am kind of confussed cause i thought if i kept his water super clean he would be a really happy boy
miyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #2 
Adastra

Bubblenesting is purely instinctual--it has nothing to do with how healthy the betta is or the cleanliness of the water or whether or not they're happy. I have seen very sick bettas make bubblenests, even. However, the reason why you haven't seen a big nest before is probably due to the simple fact that he didn't have time to make a substantial one before the next water change. It's also possible that the humidity above the tank was too low, causing what bubbles he did make to pop.

I would do a 100% water change now and destroy the nest--it's better to prevent a possible disease or infection than preserve his nest. You should try floating a leaf, a piece of styrofoam, bubblewrap, or the cut out center of a paper plate at the top of the tank. This can help focus their urge to bubblenest--in the wild, bubblenesters usually make their nests under floating objects like leaves.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #3 
miyko

ok but would you say switching to 50% daily is prolly beter for him anyways... he seemed stressed and unhappy everytime i did a 100%
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 
Adastra

I would do a 100% change every other day rather than every day.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #5 
miyko

ok thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 1g unfiltered tank without live plants I would do 2-50% and 1-100% a week and this is only if you remove any uneaten food after feeding and don't over feed.
You also need to watch his fins for melting, rotting...etc......

In an experiment I did a while back in a newly set-up 1g unfiltered, barebottom container-it took about 72 hours for the ammonia to build to 0.25ppm-I did a 50% water change to get the ammonia 0ppm, however, the ammonia was back to 0.25ppm within 48h-this experiment lasted for 14 days and I found that 2-50% weekly and 1-100% weekly kept the ammonia at safe level-since I had no way to check DOC's and these can be harmful to fish at high levels too-I am of the opinion that for best preventive health-that at the very least 2-50% and 1-100% weekly is needed, however, if your Betta is a HM or CT I would do 3-100% weekly just for the fins alone
In the side by side experiment I added floating plants (water lettuce) and the outcome was a lot different as far as water change needs-

And I agree-even sick Bettas will sometimes build a nest-but usually they will have other symptoms as well, but not always

Freshwater fish thrive best in fresh water and the number one treatment/medication for our wet-pet we keep in closed systems....in my experience.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #7 
miyko

he is a VT .. i think he is the COOLEST TV ever i think he may have been a cross between a CT and a VT to explain his finnage.. i do check for fin rot lots when i got him he had a little and i havn't seen much sence that day the owner said they did treat him for it his fins were in pretty bad shap when i had got him so they have grown in vrey cute!!! i am trying to do 25% every day and 50% every other day and on fridays a full 100%.... also a quick question i read somewhere that betta fix and most medications are mostly made of tea tree oil... if i took a drop of tea tree oil with a betta cup full of water... would this be about the amount of dilution for the medicine in case his fin rot comes back or something??