Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

I already have a 12 gallon tank.. there's no reason for me to get a 10 gallon.

If I set up the 12 gallon I will need all new supplies because I want to plant it and IME gravel just doesn't cut it. That means eco-complete, driftwood, all new plants, sponge filter, and a good heater since the one in my 5 gallon is a 25w. That's ~$25 for the E/C, ~$30 for the heater, $20+ for the plants, $5 for a sponge filter, and who knows how much for driftwood. Plus shipping for most of the equipment and all of the fish (because I'm not buying the pathetic looking fish at petsmart). That's about $80-100 for supplies then however much it costs to get my fish/shrimp.

The tank is tall.. about 18in I believe. Its an eclipse tank so the bulb is already fluorescent. Eclipse lights are usually pretty good about growing plants. I toyed with the idea of purchasing an entirely new filter assembly but that will cost $50 plus shipping from Marineland.

I'll have to look more into those different fish. Anyone know how big panda cories get? Saw some on aquabid last night and they're super cute. In any case I won't be getting any new fish until I make sure whatever killed the last three isn't going to kill anymore.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #12 
secuono

Sorry, forgot that part.
You can use Play Sand from Lowes or Home Depot, 50lbs for $4. All 8 of my planted tanks have this sand.
Why do you need driftwood?
New plants? What do you have now?
You have 2 filters now, no? How many gallons are they rated for? You might be able to combine them, an extra water change, extra plants and/or less fish and you might be fine.
Petsmart might still have their heaters on sale. You should go to a LFS, not Petco/Petsmart and see if they have a HOB heater, they are cheap and work very well. I have two and are just great!
Petsmart might also still have their MarineLand filters on sale and the $5 rebate.
Panda Cories get to 5CM and are just too cute, I couldn't find any and settled on Green Cory...^.^
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

I don't like sand, I find it too hard to vacuum effectively and I like the look of the eco-complete. The eco-complete also has added nutrients that sand won't have. I only have a few sprouts of dwarf sag and a couple anubias nana and neither are doing very well in the current tank.

I want driftwood because I like driftwood and I need a tall focal point for the tank. I do not like resin ornaments.

I can't put an HOB filter on an eclipse tank because of the design of the hood, it either has to be the assembly that originally came with the tank (it was missing when I bought the tank from a thrift store) or it needs to be an in-tank filter. With two sponge filters I can have a decent flow of water but not suck up any shrimp. Neither one can be purchased locally.

I'll save more money by buying everything at once from Drs Foster and Smith than buying stuff here and there.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #14 
secuono

Dirt stays on top, so I do not see how it's hard to clean.
Add more light and those plants should do better.
You could use wood off trees or their roots, I have several from trees from my yard in my tanks.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

We only have pine around here which is not good for tanks. Plus it's illegal to collect from state parks which is the only place I could find hardwoods around here.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fishyinpa had 6 panda cories in a 10 gallon tank and they were fine. They even spawned.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

Well I definitely want them.. they're extra cute. I'll need 6 because they're shoaling.

Right now I'm toying with aqadvisor.com I really like the sparkling gourami. I'm thinking some of those, a nerite snail, 6 panda corys, maybe something else.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Corys are fun to watch. Sometimes I look at them at Petsmart.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #19 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
I think a puffer would need more space and make sure it is truly freshwater. A lot of them are either salt to start or fresh then salt as they age.
Dwarf Puffers are completely freshwater fish. I think they only grow about an inch or so, but I'm not enitrely sure how big their tanks should be. I remember one of the members here had one...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #20 
1fish2fish

Vaygirl has one. Dwarf puffers need at least 5 gallons and an additional 3-5 for each additional puffer. They're really cute but I don't like that they don't do well with most tank mates and they really need a live diet to do best and I don't have the luxury of culturing large live food.