Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Talking The Halfsun Project

Project Start Date: 7.25.11
Confirmed Male: N/A
Confirmed Female: N/A

Hello everyone and welcome to my breeding project. You might notice up top that the date to put this project into motion is a bit off. This is also subject to be moved back however I have a lot of free time in July and would be a good time to get stuck cleaning a million jars. Also I would like to make sure that I have time to make sure I'm doing things right with my boys before I do something silly like breed.

I don't like doing things half-arsed and if I start this I'm going to finish it. Hopefully with good results.

Okay that mess aside. I am enamored with Half-Sun bettas but finding them is annoying or pricey. Also being of sound mind I would like to dedicate myself to wishing in a few months that I had never started doing this and whining as I clean cute fishie tanks anyways <3

So here is my questions to all of you breeders that I've yet to get definitive answers on [or they might just be more speculation but I want to hear it]

1. Has anyone noticed a trend in Male or Female genetics carrying stronger then the other - i.e tail type?
2. Would you suggest similar rayed fish for this process? I was going to look for a CT with a good amount of rays [like 4] to try to support the HM gene.
3. To get a strong line going I'd have to in-source other lines to prevent massive inbreeding. Should I start with multiple pairs so when I do cross a new line in they are also showing the HS gene? If so how many?
4. This one is just personal opinion - what color fish would you like to see this done with c:

I am well aware this is a large undertaking. Also I'm aware that the IBC or w/e isn't fond of them. No preaching T.T

This post is not about the set up/food/ect I will be obtaining. Nor about ethics and so on. Before I start this I will have everything obtained and sorted.

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 09-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

In before I get yelled at for making more mutt fish. I am only trying to make a legitimately healthy line of fish. If this gene proves to be overall detrimental to the species or unable to hold without genetic problems [like spine or swimming issues] the project will be promptly discontinued. *don't eat me -hides- *

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 09-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #3 
JKfish

Wow. This is interesting. I can't offer you much info seeing as I know close to nothing about betta genetics, but Instead of breeding crowntails to halfmoons, seeing as not many crowntails are halfmoons, would it be easier to start with halfmoons with slight web reduction?http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...articleid=1007 I read that about a week ago, and reading this made me think of that.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I highly suggest you join the IBC, especially since your taking your time. Before choosing your fish you should learn what makes a perfect halfmoon and what makes a perfect crowntail and then find stock that are (or are near) perfect. There is so much information available to you once you join.

I know you said no preaching but IMHO the best way to go about this would be to choose nice halfmoon stock, get a decent line of HMs going and THEN incorporate your web reduction after a few generations. I think it might save you a lot of culling.

Just making sure, are you prepared for the massive amounts of culling you'll have to do to achieve this? For the first generations you are going to have to cull very hard.

My best piece of advice is to get reading. You need to learn exactly what makes an excellent specimen and how to achieve the phenotype you want.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 
doggyhog

I think it's wonderful that you're doing it VERY responsibly and professionally.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #6 
ForbiddenSecrets

@1fish2fish

I was thinking about joining the IBC to get the real solid advice on stock once I had this project a bit more solidified. Also thats not preaching hun I meant whiny posts that aren't helpful at all. You offered solid advice that I'm taking into serious consideration c: . The reason I put off the start date for the actual breeding for almost a year is so I could do a lot of in depth research to get the best results possible with as little heartache.

I am prepared to cull as well - severely. I understand that only a very very few of the spawn [if any at times] will be good for continuing the line. I knew this when I decided on this project and am prepared for it and to do it humanely.

@doggyhog

Thank you c: I'll be sure to keep updates on plans and of course when I get the starter parents to begin the project.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

You sound like you are well on your way. Joining the IBC now would give you a heads up on genetics, etc. There is some really detailed information available to members.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with everything.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I tried breeding halfsuns when I first started, not so good :/

Now that you've done a lot of research I'm sure you'll do great :)

Cant wait to see all the results :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #10 
purplemuffin

Good luck!! Gosh, I would love it if there was a healthy line of halfsuns..They are really pretty(at least only one I've ever seen... In this forum's tail images section! Looked like a dragon!)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote