Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #1 
gahcrazy

I'm tierd of the fighting

I've had this sorority for about a year. Man oh Mam! These girls are worse than the crisis in the middle east!lol I had reintrodused some females recently and everything seemed to cool down. Then, Bam! I guess there is a coup going on! Everybody wants to be the Alpha! Women! (fish that is) So now i have 9 females sitting around needing to have thier water changed everyday. I guess each of them are like Brain on pinky and the Brain. lol Trying to take over the world! (or tank) hehe
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #2 
Jupiter

How big is the tank? And do they have enough hiding spots?

But, I know what you mean...some of my girls were just impossible to reason with.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

I think when people hear that females can be kept in a sorority they jump into it without really knowing what it takes. They also don't know how to select females based on behavior (rather than how pretty the fish is). Not every female will do well in a sorority and probably about 75% of non-sibling females are not going to get along together well.

There is no way to make females get along. If you have aggressive females they are going to have to be kept separate or your going to have to get a much larger tank and add many more females to spread the aggression around even more. Even then it might not work. Its been my experience that lots of hiding spots don't really have much effect on anything. My girls all swim around the tank, a hiding fish means a sick fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #4 
dipsydoodlenoodle

My girls all cram into about an inch of tank together and ignore their hiding spots. They generally sleep in the hiding spots; otherwise they barely use them but they are there just in case :)
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 
gahcrazy

I agree with everything thats been said. My experence has mirrored the things everyone has said. Tho it is VERY annoying (the ruthless fighting) i preaty much understood what i might be getting into. I really just wanted to vent my fustrations when i wrote the above thread. It might be a good ideal that those whom have never had a sorority be warned of the task they are getting into. This last round of fighting happened in the space of 1-3 hours. Had i not been there and happened to look into the tank it would have been much worse. I'm sure of that. So i have continued my DAily water changes and i'm concidering how best to handle this issue. More fish, smaller sorority? Time shall tell. GB
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #6 
Drift

I hope everything works out in the end! Good luck!
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Adding those new females was the problem....they will fight for control of the tank.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote