Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #1 
Zoni

Tail

Yesterday I introduced 2 platies who were somewhat scared of Mr. Betta and Mr.Betta went hyper.
today when I got up, part of Mr. Betta's tail was missing...
I don't think it's fin rot and it has never happened before.
What should I do
Zoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #2 
Adastra

Could you post the answers to these questions please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

My theory is that either the platies stressed out the betta, which prompted him to bite his own tail, or that the platies, being a semi-aggressive fish themselves, started the gang up on the betta and nip his flowing fins.

Personally, I am not a fan of keeping bettas and platies together since platies prefer hard water with some salinity, and bettas are a soft water fish that comes from water with little to no salt content. The color of the platies can illicit aggression from the betta, and the platies themselves can bully a betta. Not my favorite combination. Some bettas just don't have the right personality for a social situation and are only happy when alone.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote