Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #1 
effy

my first breeding attempt :D

Hey all!

So like the title says, this is my first breeding attempt after literally a year of researching :) so excited! I have kept many bettas, males and females, ever since I got into fish.
This is my male, Mike, HM with purple/copper colour (old damage to fins)

This is my Female, Petal, SD with all sorts of random colours

Both bought from E-bay from reputable breeders

This is my set up for breeding, slightly on the small side compared to others but it will do the job. 40 litre tank, 50w heater, sponge filter, almond leaf, polystyrene and some plantage :D and yes, that is litres, not gallons. Iím no good at conversions!

I have been conditioning for 1 week, but pretty sure they didnít need any longer as they have been fed on high protein food for like forever. So Mike went into the tank a few days ago and I have just put Petal in and he instantly started trying to build a bubble nest. He isnít very good at it!

She will be released tomorrow, so I have all weekend to keep an eye on them :)

The only thing I may have a problem with (I think) is Mike being too small to wrap around Petal. But I have a bigger male ready. I just wanted to give him a chance cuz I love his colour!
So yea. Exciting stuff :)
Thank god for my bfs camera skills :) I see you all like photos!
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #2 
weluvbettas

Seems like everything is going great!! I would suggest cramming that tank with live plants that way she can hide and infrosia will grow for fry to eat. Also what have you got planned for the fry to eat? One last thing are you from the uk??
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #3 
effy

Yes I have some more plants I am putting in tonight :) I decided late on that I need to cram it with plants as its small. For the first week I’m relying on inflorisia (can’t remember spelling!) and then after, micro worms and then after that a mixture of micro worms, and Hiraki fry food (starting them early so they don’t get spoilt) and then a variety of grated frozen food. And yea I’m from the UK :)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #4 
weluvbettas

It would also be good to get a brine shrimp hatchery (sea monkeys)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #5 
effy

I am looking at hatcherys as we speak :) Plants are in! there is so much coverage I had to set up a mirror so I could see the bubble nest as I can't access the side lol. What are people's opinions about snails in the tank?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #6 
effy

Here's a picture of the tank now, with all its plants :)

Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #7 
weluvbettas

The more snails the better i think .I have some ramshorn snails i my breeding tank as a clean up crew. What are your plans to do with the fry??
Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #8 
effy

Well I will keep as many as I have room for! particularly the females, they are so under rated! Also, I have a lot of pet shops around that would happily take them and sell them on. I'm not intending to sell any myself because they wont be anything special to anyone else apart from me!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #9 
weluvbettas

I would take them to local fish shops and not to big chain stores like pets at home.... they dont care for your fish. You should be looking at 2.00 per male and 1 .00 per female i would say
Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #10 
effy

Don't worry I have it sussed. Actually down this area, my maidenhead aquatics shop is amazing. I'm friends with a lot of the staff and I know for a fact they will take amazing care with them untill they are sold. My local fish shop round the corner who would give me money for them isnt half as nice. If I think they would sell quick I would give them to him, otherwise the rest I would take to maidenhead. But like I said, I will keep as many myself as I can get away with first :)