Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 
ihave2bettafish

i got 2 newbeta

hi everyone, i love animals and fishes, i had bettas and other fishes, baby turtles, and turtles in the past but they would never survive more than 1 month, i guess this is the time i need to get more information how to proper take care of my pets

so my sister just bought 2 new male bettas, she told me that it is very easy to take care, we only have to change water and feed it thats it, and only use bottled water.

however, i read the sticky post of basic care, it says that it needs keep the temperature of 75 degree. and a big tank of 2.5 gallon or up

my tank is about this small, do i need a bigger tank?
http://www.ficklefood.com/wp-content...bowlhalves.jpg

in addition, i always use filter water (brita filter water that i drink) to change water for the fish yesterday, but today i dump half of it and put half bottle water, is my fish going to be okay?

pix coming up when i get home
ihave2bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hello, welcome to the forum! And Congrads on your two new boys ;)

Though, yes, you will need to get a bigger tank. You need a minimum of 2.5 gallons per betta, and they're tropical fish who need a steady temp of 78-80 degrees.....so you'll need to purchase a heater as well.

Since you have two boys, there are a couple ways to go about this. You can get two separate setups...2 medium-large Kritter Keepers(from the reptile section; they hold up a little better), or two 2.5 gallon tanks of some other sort, two separate heaters, and other accesseries. You'll want to clean those thanks 2-3 times a week each, 100% water change and a quick rinse of accessories in hot water.

OR

You can get a 5-10 gallon and split it in half, though you'll want to cycle your tank if you choose that option and that could take a while and I'm not sure if it would really be cheaper to do it that way or not...;P

Its all up to you ;)

I'm not sure if you have to add anything to filtered water...I know with bottled you need to add some sort of mineral supplement.
Your plain tap water should be just fine if you condition it with a good conditioner like Prime. Just add that to any new water ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

Hello! :D

It's weird that small tanks/bowls (1 to half a gallon) are so hugely advertized when they are not really good for permanent homes at all. For any fish. Bettas can be in smaller homes than other fish, but they still need space to swim around. The one you have in my opinion, should be okay temporarily. You should get them each there own tank at least 2.5 gallons. Or get one large 5 gallon tank and put a divider in, but there are a lot of cons to that....if one gets sick the other could get it or sometimes they might be able to jump over to the other side.
Getting a heater, and a filter for 2 tanks seems like a lot, but it doesn't have to be extremely expensive. Their are heaters at walmart around 13 dollars, there are also ones at petsmart, the hydor mini heater, that only costs around 12 dollars. With those, they need to be on at all times because the temperature does not stay at one degree (they will when plugged in all the time). I actually got a heater for 17-18 dollars at petsmart that you can adjust the temp, it works great so far.
It's easier to get a tank kit that comes with a filter, one that works pretty well is the Aqueon mini bow 2.5, it seems to work really well for a lot of people, but for me I couldn't get the light to work right.
You could get a 5 gallon kit at walmart for 29.99, it is by Aqua and it works really well since I've had it.
Kritter keepers are great, alot of people use them and they are pretty durable, and cute too! You can get a large that holds 2.5 - 3 gallons.
You don't have to have a filter, but it really helps to have one and keeps your water quality from spiking.
It helps to cycle your tank first, it can take several months to do that, but there are some types of bottled bacteria (or ammonia) at petstores that can help it cycle in 1 week....I'm not sure which one works, hopefully someone else can tell you.
Make sure they get enough light during the day, and it's turned off at night and get a thermometer so you can always know what the temperature is in the tank.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #4 
KukaaKatchou

I got a Kritter Keeper and it is great so far. Eventually I will move to a bigger tank, but for learning the ropes so far I'm pretty happy with the KK. I've got no filter but 3 live plants and I do a 100% change every 3 days.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 
ihave2bettafish

thanks for the tips, here are the pic, they are 3mb big and i do not have paint to resize them to jpeg, can someone save it as jpeg and i can edit it.

hmm i might get the tank with heater and the lab kit soon when i have time, but then i also want some natural environment for them too, i as i read oldfishlady's post she did some breeding with the bucket,

i wonder if i can put my fish in this bucket? or i might have to get some other plants and oak leaves

Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #6 
Ajones108

You cannot put two male bettas together. Ever. OFL does some very advanced things with her breeding and buckets, and I wouldn't recommend breeding if you're new to the proper betta care scene. Also, it's not very ideal to just pick two bettas off the pet store shelves and breed them. It could prove fatal and there are lot of details to it.

I recommend getting the 5 gallon set-up from Wal-Mart. It's about $35 and it comes with a hood, light, and filter. You can then buy a 25w adjustable heater to keep the temperature at the RECOMMENDED temperature of 80 degrees (or between 78 and 82). You'll then have to divide the 5 gallon into half using something like... hmm... I can't remember what is good to use. Someone else can tell you though.

In that little container you're currently keeping them in (referred to as a "betta coffin" popularly..) you will have to do DAILY water changes. Yes, daily. In the 5 gallon though, once properly set up and cycled, only about 25-30% of the water changed a week.

Also, you can use tap water, just make sure you get a water dechlorinator. We recommend Prime by Seachem. I also like AmQuel+. I know I left stuff out but ask anything you need. Keep a cover on that small tank, they're jumping fish.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #7 
ihave2bettafish

omg i just got pwned, im going to the petstore near my house to check out the kits. lol betta coffins :(, guess i have to go all out.

thank you
Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #8 
DragonFish

DIY tank divider -----> http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

I find these hold up a lot better then your standard store-bought ones, and they're MUCH cheaper.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

Trust me, you aren't the only one!! If you were, these tiny bowls wouldn't exist! Or would at least be less popular. At least you joined this site! :) Now your boys can have awesome fun lives in much bigger homes!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #10 
KukaaKatchou

I did a bit of research before getting Sam which is why he's not in a teeny bowl. Great store for birds - idiots about bettas - maybe because they aren't super expensive? They tried to talk me out of getting a bigger home, brine shrimp, a thermometer, etc. Can't stand it when people think living things are disposible. Am looking for a different store to give my fishy business to.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote