Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 
TharBePirates

Cannot... Resist....

So, I don't think I can live with a 2.5 gallon tank for much longer. I know! It's bad But having this whole ammonia thing go down, and the tediousness that comes with it, has really made me consider getting a 5 gallon and switching Gyarados over. Beyond the talk I've heard of an easier upkeep, I just think he'd enjoy the space.

I'd be putting all of his stuff in the 5 gall, filter, sand gravel, live plants, so I assume it would cycle faster. Also I'd probably add some more gravel, lots of plants, a few rocks, and some lovely mopani wood to the mix (and stock it with some shrimp one more time since the last pair was introduced during a bad time).

I know I've said in the past land lords were an issue. But the truth is I just talked to our supervisor recently regarding the lads, and he seemed more than fine with both of them. 5 gallons isn't all that much bigger from the 2.5, and truth be told I would probably keep the water level somewhere around 4.5. I think as long as I don't truck home a 10 gal or start collecting bettas, I'm alright.

For the record I would be getting a regular, straight up rectangular tank. They sell them just by themselves in chinatown fairly inexpensively at a LFS. If I do I'll probably wait a spell and save up.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #2 
Alex09

Yeah… I upgraded my guy from a 1.5 gal to a 10 gal :o then I added live plants, driftwood, tankmates, etc. What I thought was gonna be a cheap pet ended up being not so cheap. Lol
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 
Capricorn

I believe if you use the same decorations without cleaning them, it should help the tank cycle a little faster. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #4 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Yeah… I upgraded my guy from a 1.5 gal to a 10 gal :o then I added live plants, driftwood, tankmates, etc. What I thought was gonna be a cheap pet ended up being not so cheap. Lol
Yeah, they definitely aren't cheap pets lol. But then again I don't think any pet is cheap. They always end up spoiled.

I've decided to go to Chinatown and look at the tank prices tomorrow. Once I see the prices I can get a good gauge at how much this'll be. I know mopani, gravel and plants will put me somewhere around $60 and I want to take a break from aquarium purchases for a spell. I may just wait till Christmas and ask for it as a gift.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #5 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
I believe if you use the same decorations without cleaning them, it should help the tank cycle a little faster. (:
That's what I was thinking, also, I have live bacteria, so that helps things along too.

It's just this whole money thing lol.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #6 
Capricorn

If you have a dollar store or something similar to that, check that out. The one on my way back from campus had tons of silk plants and gravel-like stuff all for a dollar a piece.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #7 
Alex09

Are they aquarium safe? I would never put in something that is not specifically designed for aquarium use in my tank lol. Im just too paranoid.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #8 
Capricorn

I soak all of mine in water for a couple days before I put it in the tank and wash them thoroughly with hot water in addition to that. I think there's several people that use silk plants from bargain stores in their tanks around the site.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #9 
TharBePirates

Went to Pet Central today and nearly came out with a marble CT

Anyways their bare bones tanks were expensive, $18.99 for a 5.5 gal. I know my hometown Petsmart and Petco have them considerably cheaper. So I won't be going there... unless... I suddenly have the urge to buy a CT. lol.

Hammering out expenses though I've decided that I'm going to wait until school is out and reward myself with a tank upgrade. You know, for pulling decent grades and everything. It's either that or waiting for Christmas and Birthday.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #10 
Adastra

You can use some silk plants that aren't intended for AQ use--I would definitely boil and soak them to make sure they can't leach any dye. Keep in mind that if you add any kind of driftwood to the tank, you will have to boil and soak it a lot in order to remove some of the tannins it would leach into the tank. It will still leach some after boiling, but not to the point that you won't be able to see your fish anymore, at least. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote