Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #1 
MNTwins1992

Jace and Scarlet

hey i'm new here. These are my new Betta's. Jace-Male and Scarlet-Female. Sorry the pictures aren't the best
Attached Images

MNTwins1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Lovin your male :)

BUT you should really upgrade that tank.....it's only 1/2 gallon and bettas should have at least 2.5 gallons heated and filtered. 99.9% of members here agree with me on tank size.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #3 
MNTwins1992

ya i know i need a bigger tank but my parents wont let me get a bigger one. My mom said :Not to waste my money and that the tank she had was fine. Figured they'd be better with me then at walmart though :D My parents hate pets and it took me till now to let her get me these.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

I agree they absolutely need to be in a different, larger enclosure. So many things are wrong with that little tiny cup. They have no heater, and no room for a heater. Also, there is absolutely no swimming room, and because they can see each other and have absolutely no room to get away from the other's reflection, they are going to live in a cramped, constant state of pure stress. And with such a tiny amount of water, holding two fish, the water is going to constantly have ammonia in it without a 100% water change every. single. day.

Please talk with your parents about getting a better set-up for those two gorgeous fish. They truly deserve a better enclosure with more swimming space, and adequate room to get away from each other's reflection because of that divider.

Last edited by TeenyTinyTofu; 09-25-2010 at 11:02 PM.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 
nochoramet

Hello and welcome to the forum! You have some beautiful fishies :) However, I agree with the other two. I don't want you feel attacked, but bettas do need at lease 2+ gallon container. They're tropical fish, so they need a heater, and you can't safely heat anything smaller than that without boiling the fishy. Plus, it gives them a lot of space to swim around in, and will lead to a healthier, happier fish that's a joy to watch. I started off with that exact same enclosure, but I promise... it'll be so much better for them if you invest in a larger aquarium/kritter keeper. Or, if you are on a budget, you can even get a rubbermaid, tupperware sort of container. Just make sure it's big enough. Not trying to scare you, just trying to get across how to take care of these fun fish! :)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

You have options for cheap 'tanks'! Large 2 gallon jars and containers work, and you can get 'kritter keepers' very cheap! For 7 dollars you could have one that is already 3 or 4 gallons! Pretty sweet! They need heat because they come from a warm environment, they weren't made to live in air conditioning!

They are gorgeous! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Oh you can also get a couple of medium (16 quart so 4 gallon) plastic tubs that work amazing!! Just tell your parents you need some for a few things in your room that need organizing and put your bettas in them :)

My friend has the same issue...parents love pets...except fish and I quote her mom "because you can't hold them and pet them".

Also your parents migh tnot hate them for long....bettas are addicting for everyone around them!! My mom dosen't even like fish and she wants a 10 gallon tank and have me breed a pure white double tail halfmoon male for it lol.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 09-25-2010 at 11:26 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #8 
Neelie

absolutely agree with the above. they NEED bigger tanks.
at least 2g each. the best solution if your kinda short on cash
are storage bins. just make sure they're non-toxic etc and haver a lid...

then a heater will be needed for each to keep water around the 77 - 78 degrees F. other bits and pieces incl. water conditioner (a must!) and aquarium salt for emergency treatments. a net and food goes without saying.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #9 
MNTwins1992

Ya i'm deffinately going to try to get a new tank. I'm really lovin these guys and i'm a huge animal lover. I rememeber when i was little though and we had 2 different Bettas in this container and one lived 2.5 years and one lived 3.5 years. I just figured they'd be safer in one of these vs in the little Walmart cups. Jace barely had enough water to swim in his cup, like 1 inch.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #10 
peaches3221

for now you could at least buy another of the tank they are already in and give each one their own tank. but i do agree that they're better of in that tank than in a dirty cup at walmart
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote