Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #1 
azulfish15

I'm New :P. I don't know how much I should be feeding my Betta.

Okay so I've had my Betta for 2 months now. His name is Azul and he went from a one gallon bowl that I broke to a half gallon that we replaced with a 5 gallon :).
I feel like he's happier than ever. I feed him everyday after I come from school around 5 or 6pm. I feed him quite a lot and sometimes he doesn't eat it all and the flakes settle in the bottom. He chews the flakes things and then spits them out. Is this normal?
How much should I feed him and went? I'm going to start feeding Azul worms and stuff. So yeah please help.
azulfish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #2 
Euphie101

First, I would feed him pellets, over flakes. Some good ones are Hikari Gold Betta Pellets (I'm not sure if thats the right name) or TopFin's Betta Bits. Bettas stomachs are only as big as their eyes, so try not to feed them a whole bunch. Also, you could enhance his diet by feeding them stuff like frozen bloodworms once a week.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #3 
peaches3221

some bettas are picky eaters, maybe thats why he won't eat flakes. try pellets or freeze dried blood worms. and you should only be giving him 2-3 flakes/blood worms per day. remember, a betta's stomach is the size of it's eyeball!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #4 
azulfish15

oohhh okay thanks. He does it the flakes he seems to like it. I'm going to look up what pellets are. Thanks guys.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #5 
KukaaKatchou

If you switch to pellets, you will want to soak them a bit first so they can expand.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #6 
azulfish15

Oh actually I have some! I tried feeding them to Azul but they don't float and therefore they go all the way to the bottom and he doesn't eat them. Does soaking them help them float? I might start hand feeding him which I read in a thread here.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would buy floating pellets like Hikari betta bio gold.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #8 
LinuxTux37

Another pellet to try that floats is the top fin "color enhancing." The color enhancing stuff may be a gimmick, but my bettas love them. A nice feature is they come in a cylinder that holds more than a lifetime supply for only 2-3 dollars. Have fun with your fish and welcome!
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #9 
Kitty Whiskers

My Bettas favorite food is the "Color Enhancing Betta Bits" pellets by Top Fin too. They also are fed Aqua Culture pellets. In the past I have had Bettas that have only ate flaked betta food and others that only ate pellets. I only had one Betta that ate both types. I'm considering trying the Hikari brand pellets as a 2nd food if they enjoy it instead of using the Aqua Culture pellets.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #10 
Drift

Pellets are better because they hold more nutrients in them. Betta fish are carnivores and need high protein sources. Said protein source should come from a good meat source just like your cat or dog's food. Several good ones are Atison's Betta Pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, and Kens Betta Crumbles. Hikari switched their ingredients around and put more filler in their food making them a little further down the list IMO.
I order Atisons Betta Pellets off of the International Betta Congress's website. They have the cheapest prices for a 15gram bottle that would last you a long time!
Pellets should be soaked in water as they expand and if fed dry they expand in your betta's belly and can cause bloating and constipation, which is no fun. When they're soaked they usually do not float long if it all. I usually get it stuck to my finger and they eat it right off. XD My guys are very food motivated.
Personally I feed Atison's and Omega One to my guys. Will be adding in some New Life Spectrum whenever I manage to get to Petco. I feed them each 2 pellets twice a day and fast them one day a week. Usually Sunday. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote