Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Question Anyone here ever breed hermit crabs?

Well ya, anyone?

Srry, just wanted to know, I breed LADY BUGS and bettas, soon to start guppies and hermit crabs.

I'm such a curious mind, and yes, i have been doin mad researching, but this is a tottaly diffrent species, and i have so many questions.

I hope to find someone, breeding is not a common hobby, and I WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING!!!

Any novices out there willing to mentor an apprentice?

- DS
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #2 
BettaGirl290

hmmm i have had a hermit crab before, but ive never breed one. try a hermit crab forum.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #3 
Adastra

For what purpose would you be breeding them? Hermit crabs are one of the most commonly abused animals because people think you can stick them in a box with some gravel and they'll be happy when that just isn't the case--most people don't understand that they need companionship, room to burrow, room to roam, humidity, access to sea water and fresh water, etc. Honestly, I think you'd have real problems finding homes for them.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
For what purpose would you be breeding them? Hermit crabs are one of the most commonly abused animals because people think you can stick them in a box with some gravel and they'll be happy when that just isn't the case--most people don't understand that they need companionship, room to burrow, room to roam, humidity, access to sea water and fresh water, etc. Honestly, I think you'd have real problems finding homes for them.
+1

I kept Hermit crabs for a while before I got into fish. They're wonderful and amazing creatures, such a joy to have, but they take a LOT more upkeep then most people realize.
They can't be bred and captivity, by the way ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #5 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
+1

I kept Hermit crabs for a while before I got into fish. They're wonderful and amazing creatures, such a joy to have, but they take a LOT more upkeep then most people realize.
They can't be bred and captivity, by the way ;)

I agree, and don't recommend breeding such a sadly abused animal...I have heard people say it is possible, but would not be worth the money it would cost(basically recreating the shore line entirely!!)

So it's possible..if you want to spend millions on just the equipment XD and the thousand gallon tanks..etc.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 09-26-2010 at 01:45 AM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #6 
Capricorn

I keep land hermits myself, and did a lot of research into it.. someone who had extensive resources tried to breed them and managed to get fairly far, but the spawn died once they reached a certain stage with no apparent reason.

I'd love to see captive-bred hermits in stores instead of wild-caught ones, but well.. I do agree, they're an abused animal.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #7 
DragonFish

Lol, let me re-fraze my post a little bit......I'm a little braindead from work ;P

Hermmies have been known to BREED in captivity....under the PERFECT circumstances, in a huge encloser, which is kept outdoors by a VERY experienced crabber who lives in an area where its very warm and humid year round....but the babies never survive.

I do agree, I would love to see captive bred hermmies being sold instead of wild-caught ones...poor dears....
But yes, they are very abused and misunderstood animals....even moreso then bettas!! Its so terrible, they way they're treated and assumed as "easy keepers"....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #8 
Drift

I have 8 Hermit Crabs in a 40 gallon breeder. They are a such a pain in my butt. -_- Keeping their tank at the proper humidity level without having their wood grow mold or attracts ants is near impossible. They get a varied diet of crab food and fresh food. I have a water tower for fresh water and have a little dish for salt water. I have to hunt around and find were they buried it. Once in a blue moon they gang up on someone and beat that one up or kill it. You have to be careful to not disturb them when they're molting.
However they are hilarious to watch at night. :D
And there is a lot more. My boyfriend takes excellent care of them though. :)
Everyone already pointed out that captive breeding is extremely hard to do.
A lot of people get them and find out they don't really want them. They can live very long if properly taken care of too.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #9 
codenamezebra

i have 2 hermies and i beleive they can not be bred in captivity - i thibk soneone already said that... if u want more go rescue them from the store as the stores often do not maintain a good hermie enviroment - humidity is vital for hermies- without it they suffocate- they are a social animal so as long as u have the room and the time to care for them properly go save them - dont breed them! :)
codenamezebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #10 
Capricorn

My younger cousins got sucked into the "easy pet" trap, and after the first ones died (from stress, poor things came all the way from Cape Cod, not to mention wherever they'd been toted all over the world), I set them up with nice little ten gallons, sand, coconut fiber.. much better.

One cousin was sold one in a critter keeper about a pint in size with nothing but a few large aquarium pebbles in the bottom.. that's the home they were selling them in at the store. >.> How sad is that?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote